Featured Review by Alice Ngugi -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Featured Review by Alice Ngugi -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One

Post by Alice Ngugi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During the dark ages, black people were viewed as nothing more than property. In the thick of things, one brave and talented girl emerges to bring about a revolution. She helps make the white owners realize that slaves were worth more than a single name and a certain kind of cloth. It is on January 14th, 1845, the era of slavery. Lily is snatched from her black mother by her very own white father. She is then sold to Jesse Adams, who would own and control her for the rest of her life. It is at his plantation that Lily learns of the musical prodigy that she is. Here, she also meets a man who brings her so much joy and pain. Will interracial love win against all odds? Will her musical talent change the course of her life? These are some of the questions that had me glued from the beginning to the end as I ruthlessly devoured this book.

What I loved most about this book is its ability to hit different emotional cords. With each orchestral performance, there was a variety of feelings evoked. The book delicately addresses the issues that slaves went through and how far the black man has come. To know that there can be a black American president makes one appreciate the book even more. Even though the characters are fictional, I feel that some of the slaves had almost similar stories. The book also adds suspense and quite unpredictable plot twists. For the first time in a long time, I found myself dumbfounded by the ending of a book. Never in my wildest dreams did I even imagine such a twist.

There was nothing I did not like about this book. I loved it so much I had to research who Londyn Skye is. She impressed me, and I feel she possesses an incredible writing talent. Indeed, The Prodigy Slave: Journey To Winter Garden was quite an exceptional read.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because of its ability to capture fine details that mirrored the slavery period across Europe and America. Plus the positives mentioned earlier and the insightful character development, I found nothing adequate in this read to warrant deduction of a point.

I recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction. They will not only learn about black history but also be entertained while at it. People who want to learn more about slavery will find this book helpful. It has quotations of the slave acts at the beginning of each chapter. It contains vulgar language and sexual scenes fit for an adult audience.

I noticed a few errors. However, they were minimal and did not affect the book's rating. Therefore, I believe it was edited by a professional. Londyn Skye achieved her goal of a unique type of romance novel. I celebrate her for that.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I also enjoyed the slave act quotes in the book and how they mirrored the action in each chapter. Thanks for your detailed review.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Historical fiction about an interacial romance set against the hight of black slavery in America. This is a rare exception to the usual stories written about black slavery. I really enjoyed the detailed review!
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while now and your review just made me even more excited. Great review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

A book that can hit an emotional cord is worth a read. Nice review
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Thank you for a sober account of the book contents.See soon
NarmeenHyder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-narmeenhyder.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by NarmeenHyder »

This sounds interesting! I like your review!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

NarmeenHyder wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 19:32 This sounds interesting! I like your review!
Thank you!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Naaya123 wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 18:42 I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while now and your review just made me even more excited. Great review!
[/quote

Great! You will enjoy this, guaranteed!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

topdan30 wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 08:52 A book that can hit an emotional cord is worth a read. Nice review
Thank you!
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:

Post by Alice Ngugi »

DANAWEB wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 12:51 Historical fiction about an interacial romance set against the hight of black slavery in America. This is a rare exception to the usual stories written about black slavery. I really enjoyed the detailed review!
Indeed. It will evoke a myriad of feelings! Thank you!
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

Millions of people will never know what discrimination feels like. Africans are displaced due to ethnic cleansing, prejudice. A lack of knowledge and fear of cultural integration perpetuates xenophobia and racism. We have so much to give and learn from other cultures, if only we decide to listen , step into the unknow and discover that a treasure of friendship awaits. The review does not gloss over anything and presents readers with a sober account of the facts. Thank you for creating more awareness of discrimination and the bravery of those that set the trend for others to follow so many decades ago.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

A very perceptive review. This book seems nothing like the conventional love stories that are written about that period. I would love to read this book and get to know all the details by myself!
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

It sounds like a sufficient story. I love that the book evokes different emotions. I do not like Historical but your review of the book would make me change that. Thank you for an amazing review.
Bookdragonnnn37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Bookdragonnnn37 »

I've always been curious about the slavery that happened before. Discrimination is a thing that up until now is still happening around us. I do not like historical fiction that much but because of this review I might change my mind on that. Thank you for the nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”