Review by Kulzum -- The Not So Great American Novel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Kulzum -- The Not So Great American Novel

Post by Kulzum »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Not So Great American Novel" by James E. Doucette.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Not So Great American Novel is a rags to riches non-fiction memoir written by James E. Doucette, Sr, as a therapy to combat memory loss caused by chemotherapy. Written for his grandchildren it would inspire anyone who reads it by his unwavering will to do what's right throughout his life. He speaks of his early childhood when his father was away in the army with his mother and sister at his maternal grandfather's farm in Bingo Maine in remarkable detail to his move to Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, or the infamous Bed-Stuy where he spent his childhood leading a street life, learning to gamble and hanging out with 'wannabe' criminals, until he sees the grief-stricken face of the mother of one of the boys he hung out with on the day of his execution, realizing it could have easily been his mother walking down the street looking hopeless, steered him away from a life of crime. Brought up by a single parent mother waitressing and later nursing for a living, struggling to survive from paycheck to paycheck, being turned away at the grocery store until they settle their previous bills are carved in stone memories for him, making him reach out to the less privileged. In his memoir, he takes us across his varied career studded life and his illustrious business ventures, starting from financing his own bicycle at the age of eleven by babysitting his cousin to the business tycoon he becomes. He gives us a front-row view into his life as a son, cousin, nephew, husband, father, employee and an employer.

I am awed by the way he singlehandedly pulled himself out of poverty, being mildly dyslexic and unable to complete high school he evolves from being a machinist mate at the navy to completing a degree in accounting, overcoming many hurdles in his numerous careers and walking away with his integrity intact everytime. It is an admirable quality in him to forgive those who have hurt him and let slide the opportunity to exact revenge, although at times the human in him would tempt him to 'rub it in the face' of his enemies. I am amazed by the hardwork and sacrifice he puts into making his business ventures succeed, from following a correspondence course on cable television operations to update himself, to showing his customers at the bank he owns a way to save themselves from bankruptcy. I like the fact that his moral compass remains undamaged even at the zenith of his financial success, never stepping on people on his way up, reaching out to rehabilitate youth, offering them riding lessons in his ranch as a reward for good behaviour and his numerous philanthropic work spurred on by his belief in 'giving back'. He is a family man who cares about his relations, who calls his children his legacy at a leadership seminar and attributes his success in career to his wife who was ever present as his aid, be it at home or work. His Uncle Hermie's words of wisdom are sprinkled through out his life inspiring him and keeping him grounded, making us wish we have an Uncle Hermie too.

This book seemed professionally edited, having a proofreader for a niece has its advantages. I came across no negativity in this book.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars for the inspirational read it is. I deduct a star for the lengthy chapters on his cable television business transactions, details of which showcase his remarkable memory but can be monotonous. I understand and respect the way he neatly ties up his business life in the name of retirement only to become a cowboy rancher. Retirement, herding hundreds of cattle? Only in James Doucette's dictionary.

I would recommend this book for fans of non-fiction memoirs and entrepreneurs to be inspired by his self-discipline, hard work and philanthropic views.

The Not So Great American Novel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I liked reading your point of view regarding the memoir. It seems that you enjoyed it a little more than I did. Despite the presentation, his lesson are indeed valuable.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Yes, I also felt the same as you. The author spent a lot of pages talking about his day to day business in his job that I felt to be reading a work journal. Great review, by the way. I enjoyed reading it.
Kasun Perera
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasun-perera.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Post by Kasun Perera »

I am not sure whether I will tolerate such an arduous read. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you
Kulzum

Post by Kulzum »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 08:43 I liked reading your point of view regarding the memoir. It seems that you enjoyed it a little more than I did. Despite the presentation, his lesson are indeed valuable.
Thank you for your feedback.
Kulzum

Post by Kulzum »

Mtibza eM wrote: 12 Feb 2021, 11:11 Yes, I also felt the same as you. The author spent a lot of pages talking about his day to day business in his job that I felt to be reading a work journal. Great review, by the way. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for your comments. I understand the working journal part.
Kulzum

Post by Kulzum »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 07:13 I am not sure whether I will tolerate such an arduous read. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you
Thank you for your feedback.
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

Great review! This seems like quite the read. I've recently taken to reading to reading memoirs so this feels like the one for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”