Review by Adedayo+23 -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Review by Adedayo+23 -- Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow Game" by A.M. Adair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Effective, resourceful, and deadly are words that best describe the weapon that is Elle Anderson. A highly-skilled Black Ops agent and the CIA's last resort, Elle leads an elite team tasked with taking down Daesh, the world's most dangerous terrorist organization. Elle operates in a world with no set rules and where one is often required to be just as ruthless as the bad guys for the greater good.

Daesh masquerades as a religious group whose goal is to create paradise on earth for their people, but they are only about power and money. They get their kicks out of torture, rape, and murder and then use religion to justify their atrocities. To make matters worse, they have used the internet to start a large-scale terror and recruitment campaign that has earned them more sympathizers and recruits. Daesh must be stopped at all costs.

Elle understands and accepts the risks and is prepared to do whatever it takes to see her mission through. When questionable intel puts her in a precarious situation with the likelihood of certain death, Elle must fight tooth and nail for her survival and freedom. Badly broken and with no reprieve in sight, will Elle succumb to despair, or will she go down swinging?

Shadow Game is A.M. Adair’s explosive debut novel and the first book in the Elle Anderson series. As far as enthralling and exhilarating thrillers go, this book checks all the boxes. Not only is our protagonist a kick-ass female in a male-dominated profession, but she is also a believable, complex, and compelling character. The writing and dialogue flowed seamlessly, allowing for immersive reading. Adequate descriptive elements enabled me to picture the scenes effortlessly, and the attention to detail brought everything together quite nicely.

Elle Anderson was a well-rounded character, and I could not get enough of her. I loved how the author played up the qualities that set Elle apart as a woman in a man’s world and used them to elevate her strengths and skills. Often, she relied on her instincts to guide her assessment of a situation, and it never failed her. When on a mission, Elle became a deadly weapon and employed every ploy and trick in her arsenal. She was intelligent and incredibly resourceful, and none of it felt exaggerated. I thought her cloak-and-dagger operation to bring down Daesh was ingenious. Elle was also fiercely protective of her team. For someone used to working alone, this new feeling proved to be one she had difficulty processing, and it nearly cost Elle her team.

Shadow Game was incredible, and I could find no fault worth mentioning. The book appeared professionally edited, a nice bow on top of an already exceptional work of fiction. I gladly rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I read and reviewed The Deeper Shadow, the second book in the series, a while ago. So far, the Elle Anderson series has been nothing short of phenomenal, and I see a tv or movie adaption very soon. Graphic scenes of violence and moderate sexual content make this book unsuitable for children. If high-action espionage thrillers with an authentic female lead are your thing, you should not pass up this utterly captivating read.

Shadow Game
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

“Her life itself was an endless shadow game; she was always working from behind the scenes or creating an illusion to distract onlookers while she went about her business.” Elle was truly a bad-A woman! She did not stand away from a fight. She was a bit cocky, but she was a leader. She did not want any of her friends to get caught in the crossfire, which shows her caring side. I have to say the realism really adds character to the book. The reader is able to 'dive' into the story and feel what the characters are going through. Elle and her friends may fight, but they forgive each other and move on with the mission. I enjoyed how discrimination and sexism were mentioned because those are real-life topics that many females face every day. The main character fought through those issues, which can inspire young women to stand up for their rights, too! I was on the edge of my seat when I did not know what was going to happen next. Elle got in so many situations that I did not think she was going to survive. Besides Elle, who was one of your favorite characters that brought life to the story?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”