Review by WardahEbrahim -- Winning the War on Cancer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by WardahEbrahim -- Winning the War on Cancer

Post by WardahEbrahim »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sylvie Beljanski, the author of Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure, begins her book by discussing a presentation delivered by her father. He had conducted significant studies on natural anti-cancer compounds. Regrettably, the French government undermined and discarded his research. Later, when he lost access to his medication, he died at the hands of carcinogenic chemicals. Sylvie Beljanski becomes inspired to continue her father’s work and introduces the research to the United States.

Sylvie Beljanski works as an attorney and joins forces with her father’s former colleagues to form the Beljanski Foundation. They collaborate with researchers at Columbia University and later source suppliers of these cancer-fighting herbs. The herbs identified target cancer cells, maintain white blood cells, and platelet count during chemotherapy. The author attached a dosing and scheduling guide for using these herbs for various forms of cancer. 

What I liked most about this book was the inspiration to not only further her father’s legacy but also to use his work to help others. She generously attached the dosing schedule in the appendix. However, I am wary of it because dosing cannot be applied so simplistically. 

I did not read the supporting scientific literature yet, but I had a quick scan at them. It appears impeccably sourced and published by reputable journals. The findings do not negate western medicine but enhance clinical and symptomatic outcomes. I strongly recommend readers collaborate with their doctors when using this regime. 

There was nothing glaring that I did not like about the book, but I will say it was evident that the author is not a health scientist. I did not find any grammatical errors. The book was professionally edited. Thus, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all those diagnosed with cancer, friends and family of cancer patients and health care professionals.

As a young healthcare professional, I am skeptical of this genre of books. However, I read it because it is relevant to me and I was interested to learn more. While I am pro-natural treatment, I disapprove of the total disregard for western medicine. If you choose to read a book that offers medical advice, I recommend reading the supporting scientific studies. Do not devote to website articles. Always check the reliability of the publishing journal before following blindly. I have had patients take herbal remedies without consulting their doctor, only to flush out their medication and later endure an amputation. So be careful.

Winning the War on Cancer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This sounds like a good resource for people with cancer or for their loved ones. Thank you for taking the time to read this and for using your background to write a review on this book! I'm glad that you also remind people to consult with someone in the medical profession. It is probably hard for either the patient or their loved ones to pick books on the topic, not only due to stress, but also because there are so many books on the topic.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Thank you for your thorough review AND your words of advice! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

A great resource for cancer patients. But obviously, not the sole resource. As you said, patients have to consult a reputed doctor before starting any dosage schedule.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

In this book, the author attached a dosing and scheduling guide for using these "proclaimed" herbs for various forms of cancer. However, I think we should do our due diligence before taking the said recommendations. Meanwhile, I appreciate the author's efforts in our prolonged battle against cancer. Hopefully, a cure is upon us imminently. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”