Review by justhereader -- A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Review by justhereader -- A Dream For Peace

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a memoir that chronicles Dr. Berrah’s life as an exemplary diplomat, a brilliant advisor to President Houphouët-Boigny, the first scientist to come up with the hypothesis on the Reverse Transcriptase Enzyme, and an activist during the Algerian revolution. On top of all his remarkable accomplishments, Dr. Berrah was a passionate advocate for peace and tolerance for all religions.

The book scrutinizes Algeria’s colonial legacy, the tension between Israel and Palestine, and the power struggle between nations during the Cold War. It also features the religious beliefs and practices of Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, and Jews. There are old photographs throughout the book that will further enrich one’s reading experience.

This memoir was heavy on politics and history, but the inclusion of the author’s sentiments prevented this book from becoming a tedious read. The author’s reflections are poignant and heartfelt, allowing his private affairs to stand out in this book. Consequently, it leaves an impact on the reader, despite the simplicity of the language.

I additionally like the educational aspect of the book. There were insights into various religions Dr. Berrah has come to learn and understand during his lifetime. For example, during his visit to a Buddhist friend, Dr. Berrah sees his friend’s wife patiently tending to her plants. Some of her orchids will take years to bloom, and she might never live long enough to see them flourish. She isn’t doing it for herself, though, but for somebody in the future who will benefit from the fruits of her labor. Dr. Berrah believes that this act is a sacrifice, a moral obligation similar to Islam and Christianity. In every encounter such as this, Dr. Berrah has something meaningful to pick up. As I reflected, I realized that it wasn’t mere curiosity that motivated Dr. Berrah to learn about all religions. It was his deep and profound desire to truly understand and find their common ground.

Dr. Berrah is a brilliant ambassador, a loving husband, a patriot, and a compassionate man who lives up to his faith. Apart from being educational, this memoir bears emotional resonance. Hence, my rating is 4 out of 4 stars. Dr. Berrah’s aspirations for a better world made me want to be more compassionate and hopeful. I can neither say anything I dislike nor find any errors. The editing quality is excellent.

I recommend this book to anyone with a keen interest in the perils of colonization, the intricacies of diplomacy, and the teachings of different religions. Due to its wealth of information, this book will be a great academic resource as well. However, this is less suitable for readers who are not inclined to read political or historical memoirs.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I enjoy history books but political history, uhhm, I don't think they're my thing. Thanks for the detailed review
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you appreciated this one. The photos would be helpful to picture everything. I'm just not into history. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have started on this book, and so far so good. Can't wait to finish it. Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting book of memoirs concerning recent history with insight seen from within the diplomacy world. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I once had a conversation with a peace ambassador and your review explicitly contains all that he told me. Peace is altered or disrupted when we meddle wrongly with politics, history and power. I look forward to reading this book to learn more from this author
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This man has led an amazing life, definitely worth writing down in a memoir. Thanks for a great review.
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 17 Feb 2021, 14:04 This man has led an amazing life, definitely worth writing down in a memoir. Thanks for a great review.
Yeah, It seemed to me like a man who had a great life, which didn't start out very great. With the death of his father and the colonization of his beloved country.
Hakeem nuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakeem-nuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hakeem nuel »

This book takes us back to history and how France colonized African countries. It was really interesting and engaging.
Cesyao
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cesyao.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Cesyao »

I couldn't put this book down! A Dream for Peace kept me engaged from the first page to the last.
Elvischukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvischukwu.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Elvischukwu »

Dr. Ghoulem's prose is eloquent and evocative, transporting readers to the heart of the characters' struggles and triumphs.
Kelvin Modilim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

This book serves as a powerful testament to the resilience of the Algerian people and their enduring pursuit of freedom, inspiring readers with its portrayal of courage and determination.
Adewakun Akinwalere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adewakun-akinwalere.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Adewakun Akinwalere »

I commend Ghoulem Berrah for his efforts towards Algerians independence. I also love the way he preached about peace.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”