Review by zainherb -- Mysteries Of the First Instant

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review by zainherb -- Mysteries Of the First Instant

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mysteries Of the First Instant" by Daniel Friedmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During a vacation with his nephew, Daniel explains his findings of how the universe came to be.

What happened in the beginning before the Big-bang? Science has many theories explaining the very beginning of existence. Different religions have their versions of this as well. In Mysteries Of The First Instant, Daniel Friedmann attempts to reconcile scientific theories with religious accounts. He discusses the various scientific theories that explain the beginning of the universe and explains why he finds them lacking. He then gets answers from the written Torah and Kabbalah-the Jewish mystical tradition in the oral Torah. According to Daniel, the Torah contains the blueprint that the creator used to make the universe. Therefore, the Torah provides answers about the beginning of existence that science still cannot give.

This book is very informative and intriguing. Attempting to supplement scientific research with religious knowledge to offer answers to questions that we all ask is an inspired move. Even though I am not Jewish, I kept an open mind and found the book very enlightening. The questions the author posed at the beginning of the book are questions I have always had. I found myself in agreement with the author’s assertions about the shortcomings of science in explaining this topic, and I understood the sentiment behind trying to find answers using religious sources.

There are many things I like about this book. It has a lot of information but is not nearly as boring as one might expect of an academic book. The author discussing with his nephew makes the book almost like a storybook rather than just a scholarly text. Most of the chapters start with stories of individuals (scientists and rabbis) who have influenced the topic under discussion in that chapter. There are diagrams and charts which further clarify the concepts.

The footnotes and glossary at the end of the book include references and links, adding credence to the book and making it easy for the reader to do further research. The editing was spectacular as I didn’t find a single error. There is nothing I dislike about the book so, I rate it four stars out of four.

I recommend this book to those who like astronomy and those who have questions about the beginning of existence. Readers from both religious and non-religious backgrounds can benefit from and enjoy this book as I did. Those who do not enjoy non-fiction or scholarly discussions may not enjoy the book. I certainly enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Mysteries Of the First Instant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:techie-reference:
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

I do have questions about the beginning and this seems like a good start. Thank you for an amazing review.
Naaya123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naaya123.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Naaya123 »

This isn't a book I'd enjoy. Thank you for the review, though!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. Unfortunately, my knowledge about astronomy is limited, and I'm not very keen on finding out about the beginning of the universe. Generally, I believe the Big Bang theory than the six-day creation.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've seen a few reviews on this book. I am intrigued, but I do worry I wouldn't be able to fully comprehend the book. I know there are footnotes to help, but I still remain worried. Astronomy fascinates me, but I find it quite difficult to understand. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

This is quite a good review, great job hope your next one will be as good
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I do not quite agree with the scientific theories as to how the world came to be. This review is very detailed and explanatory on the books content but I might have to pass it up. Thank you for a great job well done
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I love books that tackle deep topics such as how life began without being boring. Thank you for the detailed review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Heidadela wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 01:13 I do have questions about the beginning and this seems like a good start. Thank you for an amazing review.
It is a great start. I recommend it. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Naaya123 wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 09:34 This isn't a book I'd enjoy. Thank you for the review, though!
Thanks for stopping by!
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Sou Hi wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 04:05 Thanks for your informative review. Unfortunately, my knowledge about astronomy is limited, and I'm not very keen on finding out about the beginning of the universe. Generally, I believe the Big Bang theory than the six-day creation.
wow! Thanks for stopping by.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

RayRuff wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 04:10 I've seen a few reviews on this book. I am intrigued, but I do worry I wouldn't be able to fully comprehend the book. I know there are footnotes to help, but I still remain worried. Astronomy fascinates me, but I find it quite difficult to understand. Thank you for your review.
wow. I get that. Thank you for your comment.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Nicholus Schroeder wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 04:45 This is quite a good review, great job hope your next one will be as good
:lol2: lol. I hope so. thank you for stopping by.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Chizioboli wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 06:33 I do not quite agree with the scientific theories as to how the world came to be. This review is very detailed and explanatory on the books content but I might have to pass it up. Thank you for a great job well done
wow! that's fine. Thank you for your comment.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

smolbird wrote: 10 Mar 2021, 06:39 I love books that tackle deep topics such as how life began without being boring. Thank you for the detailed review!
So do I! Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”