Review by Jenniferg_1105 -- Devil in False Colors

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review by Jenniferg_1105 -- Devil in False Colors

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick is a thrilling international crime novel. The story starts off with a gruesome terrorist attack against the Jewish community in Beverly Hills. This is followed by another attack on a Jewish celebration. Lara, a member of the Joint Terrorist Task Force, is called in to help stop further attacks. Uri Levin, an Israeli national, is also called in to help. They each come up with a different plan to go undercover to get information from the Muslim community. Lara and Uri have worked together before and have had a past romantic relationship. Will they be able to find the information they seek or will their true identities be discovered? Will they still have feelings for each other after years of being apart?

There is a lot going on in this book and it kept me very engaged. There are also a lot of characters. My favorite characters were Lara and Uri. Lara is a strong, brave, independent woman. Even when she is shown video evidence to scare her out of going undercover, Lara gets more determined to accomplish her mission and stop others from getting hurt. Her bravery and determination are admirable. Uri is quick to offer his help no matter the danger. He has no quit in him. There is no lack of action, and the author added real events which add depth to his fictional story. I felt I learned some new insight about some international problems and the persecution of the people in the Jewish community. The fact that the author added real events to the story makes this story seem more plausible. The romantic tension between Uri and Lara also adds to the story. I found myself hoping that they would end up together.

There is almost nothing negative to say about this book. The story is riveting and thought-provoking. The many characters have depth and are well-developed. I had only a few small issues with this book. One is a large number of characters. At times I would find myself rereading a page to be sure I knew which person the narrator was talking about. Also, the book contains some very gory scenes that were a bit hard to read. This book conjured up many emotions for me.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I only found a couple of editorial errors which leads me to believe it was professionally edited. This book is well-written and engaging. The scenes and characters are described well. The story keeps a good steady pace.

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys international crime stories. This is an excellent story but it has some difficult themes. This book would be best suited for mature readers. It contains some rather detailed descriptions of murder and somewhat explicit sexual scenes. There is not a lot of profanity but there are a lot of unkind words towards the Jewish people. Sensitive readers may want to pass on this book.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds intense. I've read another Lara and Uri book, and they're great characters. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jennifer Garcia 555

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Mar 2021, 15:14 This sounds intense. I've read another Lara and Uri book, and they're great characters. Thanks!
I’m reading another Lara and Uri book now. I can’t get enough of this couple. Thanks for your comment!
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Wow, this sounds interesting. Not exactly sure if it will be a book I would pick up, might need to check out a chapter or two. Thank you for your review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

It seems like the book has something of everything. Lara and Uri really appear to be a power duo.
I would definitely read it. Thanks for your great review. 
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I will definitely give it a try since this is my favorite genre. Thanks for the detailed review.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

I am already intrigued by this review. This is my type of book. Thanks for an insightful review.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I like thriller novels but I don't know about terrorist ones, not sure this is for me. Thanks for the incredible review though.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

International crime novels are captivating. The authors style of including real life events in the book is a great one. Congrats, great review.
Jennifer Garcia 555

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 10:59 I will definitely give it a try since this is my favorite genre. Thanks for the detailed review.
There are 5 books in this series and the 3 I have read so far have all been excellent!
Jennifer Garcia 555

Shillah A wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 15:38 International crime novels are captivating. The authors style of including real life events in the book is a great one. Congrats, great review.
I like when I can learn new things about different cultures while still enjoying an exciting fictional story. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”