Review by Etienneza -- Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Review by Etienneza -- Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Etienneza »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Running the Sahara" by Marcel Nickler.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marcel Nickler offers his debut with Running The Sahara: A Diary Of The Desert And Beyond. The Marathon Des Sables is a metaphor for a way of life. The book describes how the writer prepares for and runs a marathon over 247 km in Marocco. The exertion of mind and body solidify thoughts and feelings drawn from the author's psyche. Marcel refers to those in his inner circle and events that shaped the course of his life. The text transports you almost immediately. Disconnected from the present, you accompany the author in the Marathon Des Sables as an entrant yourself. I was completely unaware of my heart rate escalating in unison with the accompanying descriptive text, as I thoroughly enjoyed being marathon runner 1201. Marcel includes unexpected logistical detail as an addendum that would prove invaluable to any prospective marathon runner. Is it possible to remain a spectator, even if you are not a marathon runner yourself?

The ephemeral and rudimentary text blends to delight the senses. Inspiration to complete the race stems from a memorable conversation with Sir Ralph Fiennes and invaluable advice from wife Monika and mentor Scott Solano. Marcel relish the challenge but has less experience running a 247 km race of 7 days in the middle of the Sahara. Minimal space and weight expenditure call for functional packing arrangements. Training intensifies and gathers momentum as the deadline for departure moves closer. As Marocco beckons, how will an experienced septuagenarian athlete attempt what would be the most unforgiving of races?

No distractions or lazy editing is present. It well deserves a star rating of four out of four stars. Only the bare essentials of descriptive text appear. Marcel's narration of strict daily routine catapults you into the Bivouac, the customary tented camp. Anticipation mounts after breakfast, with last preparations for a grueling day being completed. Valuable information about the nomadic Berber tribe is revealed. I’ll allow the reader to make their own discovery.

Athletes, marathon runners, and coaches will gain valuable insight into the requirements for completion of an ultra marathon. Besides the race itself and all the positive inferences gleaned from it, it serves as a journey of inspiration to readers faced with any particularly challenging situation. The author mentions that whenever longer training interruptions occur, he knows that something is off-kilter. The culture of training and preparation has influenced the quality of life more than exponentially. Sound planning and innumerable sacrifices bring their own reward. The text is faultless. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey!

My current long-distance walking schedule is migrating to a more intensive routine. Short and medium-term goal adjustments will stretch possibilities to just outside a comfort zone. How about you?

Running the Sahara
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

A very suspenseful read indeed. I always love being a spectator at marathons and I'll love to read this book as well. Thanks for a detailed review.
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Based on your review seems to be a good book, surprising considering it's the author's debut.

Great review, thorough :D
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I thought this book was an amazing read. It is compelling and inspiring, though I would disagree that there were no editing errors.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I’m not a fan of stereotyping either, but this book is fictional. The author has creative license to do as desired. You make an interesting point about the applicability of this fiction to reality. I'm also usually and professionally concerned about child protection issues.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. It sounds like everyone could learn from this book even if you aren't a runner. Thanks for your insights.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems to an interesting read, that I will enjoy. Thanks for an insightful review.
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

It seems like a compelling read. Thanks for your detailed review.
kittykat6132
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittykat6132.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by kittykat6132 »

I have read it. It's an amazing memoir.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”