Review by dianaterrado -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by dianaterrado -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love, Grandma" by Ann Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love, Grandma by Ann Morris is an illustrated children's book that highlights a grandmother's role in the lives of her granddaughters. It follows a grandmother with her two grandkids, Payton and Haley, as they spend time together doing different fun activities. The book is twenty pages long so it is a quick read but for a short story, it sure packs quite a punch.

Love, Grandma is a lighthearted and heartwarming book. The author based the story off of her own life experiences as a grandmother, and it clearly showed. Every page and every word felt heartfelt and relatable. The deep affection between the grandmother and her grandkids was obvious and can be felt in every turned page. What added to the appeal of the book is the accompanying illustrations that were fun and colorful. I think illustrator David Gnass did a great job capturing the emotions of genuine love and happiness in every page.

Love, Grandma reminded me of my own childhood memories of spending time with my grandmother or lola, as we say in Filipino. I grew up in my grandma's care, and I can honestly say I had some of the best times of my life with her. I saw myself in Haley and Payton. I remember my lola cooking our favorite meals, and cheering me and my sisters on in our imaginary rockstar band. I miss her terribly, and Love, Grandma made me reminisce some of the happy memories I had with her, for which I am grateful. The book took me down memory lane, and I love it even more because of that.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The author presented a lovely story that will stir feelings of nostalgia in adult readers, and at the same time, the entertaining and engaging story will undoubtedly appeal to kids. I appreciate how the book put emphasis on the love a grandmother has for her grandkids. As for errors in spelling and grammar, I didn't find any. The book was exceptionally edited.

I recommend the book to parents, grandparents and kids ages four to seven.

Love, Grandma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I wasn't really close with my grandparents, but I did have some good memories with my lola and lolo, so I feel a little bit nostalgic as well. Thanks for the review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

I don't like Children's books but good job on your review I liked it.
Strangeminds
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangeminds.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Strangeminds »

Even though I haven't read the book, your review gave a thorough explanation of the book. You have done a great job with the review.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

You can tell the book is interesting just from the cover image. I like you review of it.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It is awesome that the love the author has for her grandchildren reminded you of your grandmother's love. Thank you for a great review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”