Review by riyosha -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by riyosha -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by riyosha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love, Grandma" by Ann Morris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Love, Grandma by Ann Moris is a sweet children’s book, narrating the author’s endearing stories with her granddaughters through rhymes. The book is quite short with around 20 pages and is a perfect pick for a short story session with kids.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is well-edited without any grammatical errors or typos. The vocabulary and sentence structure are very easy for a kid to read and understand. It would adequately help in improving children’s reading and comprehension skills. The book also teaches important family values and emphasizes the importance of healthy family relationships. Additionally, the illustrations are cute, colorful and very attractive, certain to engage young children.

Yet, I have not rated the book higher. This is because the events may seem too ordinary to catch a child’s attention. It can give parents and grandparents a lot of useful ideas about how to fruitfully spend time with their children, but it seems that children may not be very enthusiastic about reading it on their own. Something more vivid and extraordinary can help in increasing children’s interest. Some fantastical elements or goofy names or characters might also help with that.

Additionally, the font of the text could also be bigger, in order to be more easily readable. The current size seems a little unappealing for an audience with a really short attention span. Further, another page could be added with an empty illustration or two to be colored by kids. Making the book more interactive might make it more interesting for them.

Overall, the book is certainly a joyous read. I would recommend this book to children and parents of children aged three to six years. It can be especially fun to read with grandmothers or grandparents.

Love, Grandma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the author made a great effort to make the book completely adapted to children and their short attention span.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

The message of this book sounds sweet and lovely.
I might give it a try someday.
I also have a short attention span, and I hope I will still find it engaging to read.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Children's books should have great illustrations, and I'm pleased to know this book has that. However, I don't think a small font wouldn't affect children's enjoyment. As a result, I would rate the book 4 stars. Great review.
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I love the fact that the book is an ordinary children's book. The few pages are appropriate for the kids. Great book review.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

Great review. I think I would recommend this book to my grandmother to read to my niece. I'm sure it will help them during bonding time.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”