Review by Leyla Ann -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Review by Leyla Ann -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Leyla Ann »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a fictional book that explores what it means to be a family. The plot is set in Massachusetts during the years of 1999-2000 and revolves around 3 characters: Lena, a 72-year-old woman who is still influenced deeply by her tragic past, Kalayla, a witty and sassy 11-year-old, and Maureen, a 30-year-old widow who is trying to make ends meet all on her own while taking care of her daughter.

The story begins with Lena taking interest in Kalayla whose manner of walking reminds her of the two sons she had lost in the Vietnam War. This interest eventually leads Lena into noticing Kalayla’s habits, which makes her worried about this kid’s safety. Lena provides a helping hand not only for Kalayla but also for her mother, Maureen. In due course, the three of them develop an unbreakable bond and realize that becoming a family is not limited to blood relations.

What I loved about the book is that it’s not centred around one character, nor is it limited to one generation. Each of the main characters belongs to a different generation. The author’s use of the first-person narrative makes it easier for readers of all ages to put themselves in those characters’ shoes and see things from their perspective, even if they haven’t been through those same experiences.

Another thing I liked was how this book tapped into the subject of racism that both black and bi-racial people suffer from. I found it quite inspirational how Kalayla, a kid who was bullied in school for being bi-racial, was never phased or weakened by that. She maintained a strong character from beginning to end, although she’s been through more than most adults have. I have to say that I liked her most for her smart, sassy remarks. They were an enjoyable addition to this story, seeing as how it deals with a dramatic theme.

I may say that I was startled at the beginning by the switch of narrators. I kind of expected the story to be told from Lena’s point of view only, but once I was engrossed in the story, I started looking forward to seeing the same situations from different angles. Therefore, I can confidently say that there was nothing for me to dislike or complain about in this book.

In light of the above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I barely found any grammatical errors, which leads me to believe that it was professionally edited. Although there was non-borderline profanity in the book, I still don’t think that it’s necessary to limit it to an adult audience. In fact, I think teenage readers could learn valuable lessons from those 3 characters, along with all readers that would be interested in a dramatic novel that has got a realistic tint to it.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I agree with you, Kalayla is an amazing character! I read a lot of opinions about the book, criticizing the fact that the racial angle was not exploited enough by the author. Actually, you have provided the perfect explanation for that: Kalayla's character is not phased by that obtuse thinking, even if she is affected directly by it. I loved reading your thorough review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the main characters are embodied in ladies from three generations.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

This book really surprised me. I hadn't expected to like it so much. I agree with you about the changing perspectives, but I got used to it after a point. Great review!
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

This was the first book I've read in OBC; I didn't expect much, but the book really awed me. I love the points you've brought out about the book in your review.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”