Review by zainherb -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of t...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Review by zainherb -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery of t...

Post by zainherb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol" by J.L. Haynes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Humans do terrible things. They cut down trees and destroy forests. Besides, they pollute the oceans and consume sea-life excessively. To make matters worse, they make metals into weapons to kill one another. Furthermore, they insist on using fossil fuel which pollutes the earth and they refuse to use cleaner fuel sources. With their nuclear weapons, they will destroy the entire human race soon. The Elb, an alien civilization said to have reached the apex of evolution, have decided that humans are incapable of taking care of the earth. Therefore, the Elb plan to erase humankind. The Eyt, another advanced race not quite as powerful as the Elb, have decided to assist the humans. They send Ansebe to earth to partner up with Zara Hanson. Both of them are to save the planet from destruction at the hands of the Elb. Zara Hanson is prepared to go on this mission but, she does not expect to learn certain secrets from Ansebe about herself.

Zara Hanson and The Mystery of the Painted Symbol is a book listed under the mystery genre. Written by J. L. Haynes, it gives a sense of wonder to the reader. I loved how there was action throughout the book. There wasn’t a time when the story lagged. Also, I loved how the author wrote of creatures from other planets with intriguing names and characteristics. The author showed us each character’s unique personality, no matter how briefly the character featured. This level of development of character is truly remarkable and is an indication of the author’s skill. I loved how there were strong female characters among humans and aliens. My favorite characters are Fez and his pet, Gnash. Fez was a troubled member of the Eyt. He had unbelievable martial skills, a soft spot for his pet, and a great sense of humor.

Everything about this book was great. However, I found some punctuation errors. These made reading it a little difficult for me. I believe the book could do with another round of editing.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because I found more than ten typographical errors in the text. If not for these errors, I would have given the book a perfect rating.

Readers who love science fiction and mystery are going to love this book. Anyone who likes Star Wars will most likely enjoy reading it. As for those who do not like mystery or fiction, they might not enjoy it as much. There are some slightly profane words used, and there is a lot of fighting described in vivid detail, so those who would prefer to avoid these should be aware.

Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
:techie-reference:
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

I really enjoyed reading your summary of the books and especially enjoyed the first paragraph of your review. This sounds like an interesting read!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I've recently seen a lot of reviews praising this book. Unfortunately, I gave up on reading it because of the beginning of the book. I'm starting to think I gave up too early. Thank you for your review, it was an enjoyable read!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:25 I really enjoyed reading your summary of the books and especially enjoyed the first paragraph of your review. This sounds like an interesting read!
It is indeed!.
Thanks for stopping by.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

smolbird wrote: 29 Mar 2021, 00:47 I've recently seen a lot of reviews praising this book. Unfortunately, I gave up on reading it because of the beginning of the book. I'm starting to think I gave up too early. Thank you for your review, it was an enjoyable read!
Yes, the beginning is a bit confusing, but if you stick it out, within a few pages it becomes very clear and interesting.

Thank you for stopping by.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Based on the title, I thought this might be a YA novel, but after reading your review, I realize it is not for young readers.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

diana lowery wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 06:28 Based on the title, I thought this might be a YA novel, but after reading your review, I realize it is not for young readers.
True.
Young readers would definitely enjoy it, minus the slightly bad words.

Thanks for stopping by.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I love science-fiction books, and I like that this one has hints of mystery in it. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Saint Bruno wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 17:40 I love science-fiction books, and I like that this one has hints of mystery in it. Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
Me too. Absolutely.

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I find it a book that really appeals to sci-fi readers. However, being a casual reader, I was rather tired somewhere in the middle. Your review is great and engaging, good work!
zainherb
Currently Reading:

Post by zainherb »

Dimi1 wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 06:55 I find it a book that really appeals to sci-fi readers. However, being a casual reader, I was rather tired somewhere in the middle. Your review is great and engaging, good work!
Oops. That's too bad :D
Thanks for your kind comment.
Noriel DM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noriel-dm.html
Latest Review: Customer Service Is DEAD by Mitche Graf

Post by Noriel DM »

Based on your review, the book seems interesting. I might read this. Thanks for the review! :)
We are all unique in our own ways :D
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I wholesomely agree with you, I loved Fez-Pyan and I enjoyed it overall. Thanks for the fantastic review.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

Science fiction has such large capacity for intrigue. Thanks for your recommendation.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. A guy who has a soft spot for his pet is, without a doubt, a likable guy. I would want to read about Fez and his Gnash :).

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”