Review by Wamakima -- Creating Literary Stories: A Ficti...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review by Wamakima -- Creating Literary Stories: A Ficti...

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles is a non-fiction book that aims to help authors improve in their writing. The book is a quick, short read divided into two parts. Book One, The Literary Story in Fiction covers the major components found in fiction books such as narration, characterization, and plot. Book Two, Creating a Literary Fiction Story expounds on the mistakes that authors make in storytelling. The guide also includes an appendix that defines phrases used in the book.

Coles is a published author whose knowledge comes from years of experience as a writer. He arranges the book's content in a systematic order, using simple language that is easy to understand and detailed examples to explain different aspects of storytelling.

I like how the author includes excerpts from his novels. He uses them to further explain points, reinforcing my belief in the author's expertise. The little sneak peeks aroused my curiosity about Cole's works. I am going to read some of his books. I also appreciated the author's conversationalist tone. While reading, I felt like a student in an old, kind professor's lecture room. The book is professionally edited as I only found two typos. For these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I found nothing to dislike about the book. However, I disagree with a point that the author made. He encourages writers to write for the reader's enjoyment instead of writing for self-catharsis. I have come across great books where the author writes for self-expression and a way to deal with their emotions. I believe it's best to encourage writers to express their feelings and emotions through their art and let editors deal with recreating the story for readers to enjoy.

I recommend Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide not just to aspiring authors, but editors and reviewers as well. I now know what to look for in a book depending on the setting and the different plots in a story. Not only that, but I also understand how to find different themes in a book, the difference between story time and real-time and different ways to show emotions in a story. I also know creating a useful and realistic dialogue between characters is important. I am now a better reader and reviewer. There are no profane words. The book is best suited to readers above 15 years old.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

A book about writing a book, what's not to like? :) I agree with you observation, a book that is written with passion can be easily spotted. Great job with your insightful review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems intriguing to read a book that gives you inside information on how to write a book. I strongly agree with your argument that anyone can write a book for any reason he/she wants, whether this is self-expression, self-catharsis, or anything else. Great arguments and a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the author shares his knowledge with readers. I believe that the main value of the book are practical advices. Thanks for the good review.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I didn't know there are books actually written for helping aspiring authors know how to write until I read your excellent review. This must be a very good fit for me because I aspire to write my own books one day. Thank God I stumbled upon your review. Now I know where to look for a guide. Thanks again.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”