Review by Jenniferg_1105 -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review by Jenniferg_1105 -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick begins with a terrorist attack against a water treatment plant in the Los Angeles area. The water has been poisoned with a radioactive material called Polonium. It is extremely rare and very deadly. As soon as the authorities figure out that it’s an attack by Iranian terrorists they call in their best agents to help. Lara Edmonds and Uri Levin are two of the best undercover agents, and they are familiar with Iranian terrorists. Bret Williams, a Homeland Security agent, asks Lara to go undercover as a computer programmer and cryptographer. Uri will go undercover as a computer technician in hopes that the agents can get information on the location the poison is being produced. It is a very dangerous mission. Though the agents are worried about their safety, they both agree to help. Can the agents get the information they need? Or, will their true identities be discovered?

Waterworks is the fifth book in the series, but it works as a stand-alone story. This is the second book in this series that I have read. I really enjoyed this action-packed story. The story takes place in a variety of different locations. The scenes are described well, and the characters are well-developed. Uri and Lara are both fiercely independent, but they also work well as a team. They both have new identities and speak multiple languages, but despite the complexity of this story, the author did a great job at making this book easy to follow. The romantic relationship between the main characters adds to the enjoyment of his novel.

There is nothing that I did not like about this book. I was a little worried that this book would be too similar to the previous book I read in this series. I was pleasantly surprised by how different this book was. The story kept a steady pace. The fact that the story is plausible makes it more interesting and a little bit scary.

I found no editing errors in this book, so it is clearly professionally edited. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I found nothing negative to say about it and enjoyed reading it. It was apparent that the author did a lot of research on the locations and agencies in this book. I was pulled into the story from the beginning. I will definitely read the rest of this series.

I would recommend this book to adults and young adults that enjoy crime novels. There is very little profanity, but this book does contain some graphic violence.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I have read and reviewed the first book "East Wind", and I liked it very much. This genre is my favorite to read. I liked that there is romance too. Thanks for the great review.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

I had a similar concern that Winnick's books might all end up being too similar. I've read several of them now, and though common themes run through the books, each one is an engaging story that stands apart from the others. They are fast-paced, which makes them easy to zip through in a day or two.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”