Review by Booklover Becca -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Review by Booklover Becca -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Becca Olsson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla, by Jeannie Nicholas, has all the makings of a classic novel about the meaning of family and the need for a little color in life. Lena, the older owner of her apartment building, has lived her life on routine and minimalism for thirty years following the death of her husband and two youngest sons. Kalayla is an eleven-year-old girl who is always ready with a witty comment and has had her fair share of suffering following her father’s unexpected death. In an attempt to keep Kalayla out of trouble while her mother, Maureen, works two jobs, Lena intervenes in their lives and they slowly begin to open up to each other as they become a pseudo-family.

Throughout the book, the audience is shown flashbacks that allow the characters to reflect on past regrets and sorrows and provide context to their current circumstances. We see what Lena put up with in her unhappy and traumatic marriage, Maureen’s expulsion from her family for marrying a black man, Kalayla’s coping with her mother’s breakdown after her father died, and so much more. All the events in each other’s lives have laid the foundation for what becomes a formidable bond.

There are many positive notes about this book. First, it features a wide range of characters, some charming, some not, but all are very well-developed. Each experiences their own growth throughout the story and processes their trauma in different ways. Second, the technique of using multiple perspectives gives the audience unique insight into the experiences that have helped shape each character and their motivations. This includes seeing into the mind of a pre-teen who thinks she knows everything and an elderly woman who knows there’s always room to grow. Third, Nicholas touches on some heavy topics such as issues of race, PTSD, etc. without being overly obvious or heavy-hitting. The author treats each of these issues in a respectful manner and shows that no character is solely good or bad.

There are many important lessons to be learned from this book. Parents are not perfect and are dealing with their own trauma. Families are not only made up of blood relatives. It is never too late to change and reach out to estranged family members, no matter how many years have passed.

I am hard-pressed to find any negatives with this book. The characters all felt well-rounded, the way their stories were told felt natural, and it appears to be professionally edited. That is why I rate this book four out of four stars.

There is light cussing throughout the book and some slightly abusive scenes that may be distressing to some readers. Therefore, I would caution anyone who may be triggered by these descriptions against reading this. However, I would otherwise recommend this book to anyone looking for a good, solid read and for a little emotion to tug at their heart strings.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A wonderful book that explores what a family is truly all about. It seems like this book deserves nothing but a maximum rating. Great job on the review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

justhereader wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 21:56 A wonderful book that explores what a family is truly all about. It seems like this book deserves nothing but a maximum rating. Great job on the review!
Thank you so much! You hit the nail on the head. It explores so much of biological family, adopted family, abusive family, etc. There’s so much to explore and each is given its own legitimacy.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

Kalayla is an intriguing story and truly heartwarming. I enjoyed reading the book and I agree with your rating. Thanks for a detailed review!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed this book too though I was a little bothered by Kalayla's character.

I particularly love your review. It is quite detailed and thorough. Well done!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

zainherb wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 04:46 I enjoyed this book too though I was a little bothered by Kalayla's character.

I particularly love your review. It is quite detailed and thorough. Well done!
I was a little too at some points because she believes so strongly that she’s the only smart one and I could see that being really detrimental. Then again, I don’t find it hard to believe that a lot of eleven year-olds think the same way.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I really liked and admired how the author wasn’t afraid to tackle difficult topics as well. Her depiction of the abuse Lena suffered is one of the main things that stuck with me from this book. Great review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This book sounds very interesting and I would definitely enjoy reading it. Thank you for your well written review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I appreciate when authors tackle difficult subjects tactfully, and the author seems to have this down pat. I enjoyed reading the book as well. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I also read this book and enjoyed it for a lot of the same reasons you did. Great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:

Post by Becca Olsson »

maggi3 wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 22:25 I really liked and admired how the author wasn’t afraid to tackle difficult topics as well. Her depiction of the abuse Lena suffered is one of the main things that stuck with me from this book. Great review!
I agree entirely! I was honestly surprised when some of the topics took such strong, dark turns. I thought the book would be more light hearted, but I’m so glad she included all that. It really added some depth.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your perspective about the themes this book highlighted. Every family is unique! The way the author portrays the characters reaching out to estranged family members gives readers hope of reconciliation in their lives. Great writing! Thanks for the lovely review.
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

This book is on my to-read list. I love your review!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also enjoyed the book very much! I loved the dynamic between Kalayla and Lena because it is so authentic and representative. You have written a lovely review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Mmmhhhh,...this book seems to be interesting and have a lesson that readers can learn. Thanks for an insightful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”