Review by shravsi -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Review by shravsi -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by shravsi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Job’s wife is one of the most misrepresented and misunderstood Biblical women. We know Job’s daughters’ names, but his wife’s name is never mentioned in scriptures. Her famous ‘curse God and die’ utterance is used to measure her whole character. People easily gloss over the circumstances that made her utter those words. Why do people resent her so much?

Did you feel the original story was one-sided? Did you hope that someone could turn this legend into a beautiful love story? Well, look no further. The Legacy of Job’s Wife by Cynthia Koelker retells Job’s story from Job’s wife’s perspective.

Job and Ix’ises were neighbors. They lived in a valley south of the land of Uz along with their families. Their fathers went to caravans and looked after the fields. Their mothers tended to the ever-growing household. Job always knew Ix’ises would be his wife. He felt this as soon as she was born when he was just a five-year-old boy. He was the one who called her Ix’ises for her beautiful eyes. They were destined to be together. Their religious differences or any problem for that matter was not strong enough to separate them. Or he thought so.

Nothing can stay peaceful for long. Especially when Satan himself decides to test Job’s faith in god. Read this book to understand Ix’ises POV as to why she uttered the dreadful words—the words for which the future generations would chastise her forever.

I read the Biblical Book of Job only after reading this book. Not knowing the original story didn’t have any effect on my reading. This is such a beautifully written work that one can read this book simply as a love story. If you are aware of the original story then consider this book as an attempt—an attempt to rectify the misjudgments passed against Job’s wife. After reading these books, I completely empathize with Job’s wife; I can understand her conflict.

This book is well edited; I did not find any errors. The story is told in first-person POV. Cynthia with her poetic writing brings a magical aura around this retelling. The prose at the beginning of each chapter is exemplary. Cynthia has incorporated the tiniest of details from the original story into this retelling. This story doesn’t differentiate between male or female like religious texts. There were some strong female characters. The bond among partners, siblings, families, and friends was heart-rendering. I felt every emotion hiding behind the words. I do not have anything negative to say about his book; I was just lost in this story while reading.

I will rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is appropriate for everyone above fifteen years. Unless you object to any form of retelling religious scriptures, I would say go ahead and enjoy this beautiful work. This is a beautifully written story about love, family, and relationships. I enjoyed this book immensely, hope you do too.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I would be very curious to see how the author portrayed Job's wife. She would have had to deal with a lot with all of the bad things that happened to Job. Thanks for your wonderful review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I love that this book aims to give us another perspective of a story that thousands, if not millions, of people know. Thank you for the great review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Behind any (famous) man is a strong woman :). I loved reading your touching review, and it made me curious about Job's wife. Thanl you for your recommendation!
Muskan Afzal-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-afzal.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Muskan Afzal- »

Readers are encouraged to take up this book by this review. We appreciate your evaluation of this book and sharing its advantages with everyone.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”