Review by Kulzum -- Let's Help You Self-Help!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kulzum
Currently Reading: Still I rise
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kulzum.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Kulzum -- Let's Help You Self-Help!

Post by Kulzum »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Let's Help You Self-Help!" by Anthony Jacob Braaten.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten is a sincere effort by the author to help people battling mental health problems. This book, he says, is basically 'how to be happy 101'(p 5). The author had therapy for over a decade to overcome PTSD, ADHD, and numerous mental health illnesses. He wrote this book as a lifeline to those shrouded in such issues. He tells you up-front that he is neither a guru nor a doctor of psychology, but a survivor of mental illnesses, from bipolar to psychotic episodes. In this guide, he categories the twelve essential life skills we need to master to achieve inner peace and happiness. He cites incidents from his life, from when he crashed his car on purpose to get out of football practice to putting an acquaintance in 'mental jail' (p49), as a bad guy, when he witnessed him in an altercation with an elder. He forgives him years later when he learnt to see the issue from different angles, although he does not condone the violence involved. He talks about the liberating power of forgiveness and how his friend, who has been through unspeakable evil, found peace after forgiving his offender. He did not want to let the evildoer win by remaining a victim gripped with fear and brokenness (p 50).

I like the way he breaks down these vital skills into twelve informative chapters. He starts each chapter with an inspirational quote by prominent personalities, like Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Serena Williams etc. My favourite opener is by Clint Eastwood, 'Respect your efforts, respect yourself-Self-respect leads to self-discipline. When you have both firmly under your belt, that's real power' (p80). He uniquely concludes each chapter with friendly reminders to do the exercises mentioned in the chapter, which are necessary for this guide to work, and a champion's log to journal. I find the way Anthony addresses the readers as brave one and champions endearing. I like the way he proves he is qualified to give this advice by citing incidents from his life and the mistakes he made and learnt from, and the myriad of issues he overcame with the help of a loving family and over a decade of therapy. He puts us at ease regarding professional psychological help by talking about his visits to the therapist and encourages those who need professional assistance to reach out to it.

I found nothing to dislike in this guide which is written in an easily understandable format. Although this book is a brief read consisting of 114 pages, it has to be read slowly to absorb what the writer is trying to say, as it is filled with questions that are sometimes awkward to answer. I felt as if I was standing before a mirror of truth that revealed my true nature, horns and all.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for writing this book in a format that encourages the reader to participate in the exercises the writer wants us to practice and for incorporating humour into what some might consider a sober topic, with questions like "List things in your life other than 'french fries', that you may bring others down with you in order to enjoy" (p 27). He requests us to embrace this self-help book with its errors, which are few and negligible. I came across no profanities.

Anthony dedicates this book to 'those who are now saying, help' (p 4). He says it's from 'a patient to a patient' (p 5). I recommend this guide to those afflicted with self-doubt and those who find it difficult to let go of a traumatic past. Read this guide to learn the twelve essential skills that will help you to find your passion and be a positive force. As Andrew says, 'If one can lose hope, one can find hope' (p 106). Read, recover and rise.

Let's Help You Self-Help!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I’m usually skeptical of self help books like these that aren’t written by professionals, but I know that therapy isn’t accessible for everyone, and I think it’s great that the author wants to share what he has learned to help those who are struggling with their mental health. I’ll have to give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I haven't come across book from patients of therapy as much as therapists themselves. And according to your review, this one seems helpful.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Kulzum

Post by Kulzum »

maggi3 wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 18:28 I’m usually skeptical of self help books like these that aren’t written by professionals, but I know that therapy isn’t accessible for everyone, and I think it’s great that the author wants to share what he has learned to help those who are struggling with their mental health. I’ll have to give this one a try. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your feedback.
Kulzum

Post by Kulzum »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 23:09 I haven't come across book from patients of therapy as much as therapists themselves. And according to your review, this one seems helpful.
Thank you for your response. I agree on the rarity of books written by patients as opposed to those by therapists.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like a very useful book for a lot of people struggling with mental health problems. Helping yourself is the first step! Thank you for this wonderful review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like the author was able to share what worked for him in a way that can help others too. Thank you for your take on this book. :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”