Review by Fireside119 -- Reflections of an Anxious Afric...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review by Fireside119 -- Reflections of an Anxious Afric...

Post by Mercy119 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad" by Eric L. Heard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad is a non-fiction novel in which Eric L. Heard, the author, recounts his childhood experience. He provides a brief history of his extended family and reflects on how the crack epidemic affected his community of Pensacola, Florida.

What I liked most about the book is that the author explicitly states that he will save his son from the generational curse. Despite the hardships he endured, he instills in his son the value of discipline and the gravity of education. That school of thought wasn’t prevalent in the community in which he grew up, hence many youths fell by the wayside.

The author’s recollections made me pity him since the events highlighted in the book took place before his teenage years. I wonder what effect witnessing first-hand domestic violence and dealing with problematic family members imprinted on a young boy’s mind. Abject poverty, segregation, and the lack of upward mobility contributed to the rot within his neighborhood. There were, however, periods of brief joy and laughter when children could be children. Those ended abruptly, punctuated by a hurried relocation to his packed grandmother’s house.

The book’s events are very much relevant in today’s climate as thousands of black Americans live in environments similar to the author’s. The legacy of degeneracy was offset by an eye-opening experience in military barracks, where he got to mingle with children of different ethnicities and social status. The author also highlights the relationship between civilians and law enforcement, where youngsters are automatically branded as criminals due to their skin color and low socioeconomic status.

What I didn’t like about the book is that it is too short. Since I was so invested in the story, I would’ve liked to know how the author’s life progressed. I’m interested in how he made it out of the neighborhood and the progress of his family members. There is, however, hope since the author hints at future books that will take the baton.

I will, therefore, award Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I did not award it a full rating because I spotted a few wordy sentences and misplaced periods. Those, however, did not detract from the reading experience. I would recommend this book to any middle-class to wealthy individuals who haven’t experienced significant hardships and public policy researchers who would like an inside look at how to improve deteriorating neighborhoods.

Reflections of an Anxious African American Dad
View: on Bookshelves
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Reading about other people's struggle and hard life make you realize how fortunate you are. I hope the author managed to save his son and offer him a different life. Great review!
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

I read a lot of African American literature, and this one seems like an honest and open-hearted book. Thanks for the detailed review!
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

The author's reflection on his childhood experience definitely presents truth moments that any reader can benefit from. I like your honest and detailed review. Thanks for this wonderful review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

This seems like a very touching, inspirational book. Thank you for sharing with all of us.
Olaniyi O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Olaniyi O »

Waoo it good to work hard to get a good result,thanks to him for saving his son form the curse that a good work,this is a great review
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

This man's story sounds fascinating and appropriate for this moment in history, and I love the title. Thanks for an amazing review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

A Childhood experience of the author which most of the black Americans experienced when they growing up. Thank you for the detailed review!
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

Too bad that this book had to be that short. Thanks for the review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Quite the informative review you have written, good job!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am glad the author “recounts periods of brief joy and laughter when children could be children.” Those experiences are priceless, no matter how infrequently they happened. Thank you for your thoughtful review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

This book has the potential to help through similar hardships. It's important for children to have a good role model who can keep them from negative influences. Great review!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's really great that he teaches his son the lesson which he hadn't been able to learn. Childhood experiences will help get a deeper understanding about the author. Thank you for an informative review!
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This depicts the love of a father to his son, and trying to ensure he toed the right part and not having to suffer as he did. Thanks for a detailed review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Although I am not a big fan of books like this, the author must be commended for his courage. Thanks for the good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”