Review by samps1910 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by samps1910 -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I did not know what to expect when I first picked Kalayla. The novel is written from the perspectives of three women, Kalayla, Lena and Maureen. The story deals with many topics such as racism, domestic violence, abuse, sexuality, and death.

Lena is a 72-year-old woman, still living in the past, thinking about her boys and her marriage that failed. Her routine involves staying at home and only leaving to indulge in her work and do the laundry. Maureen moves in across the hall with her 11-year-old daughter, Kalayla. Maureen is dealing with the loss of her husband and trying to take care of her daughter, who is an independent rebel. Maureen's family had disowned her for marrying a black man, and they wanted nothing to do with her and Kalayla. She is working two jobs and doesn't have her attention on the girl. Lena worries about what Kalayla might get up to on her own and thinks she can help Maureen and fix the mistakes she had committed as a mother with her own boys. We get to read on about how the three women bond, despite not being related biologically, and how they find themselves in the process.

What I liked most about the book was the way the story progressed. The plot and the topics that were being dealt with were written with grace. The topics, though serious, did not make the book grave. I also liked the writing style. Each chapter was written in first person and from the perspective of one of the three characters. Jeannie Nicholas managed to give each of the characters their own vivid personality and their own voice. I laughed and cried with the characters.

There is nothing I disliked about the novel. The story flowed perfectly, and I enjoyed every bit. I didn't want to put it down! It was well-edited, and I spotted only one error.

I would rate Kalayla 4 out of 4 stars as there is nothing I found to knock off a star. The novel is wholesome and filled me with warmth as I read on. I didn't want the book to end, but alas! All good things must come to an end! I recommend the book to anyone who enjoys a comforting read. Mothers would also find this book helpful. There is a bit of profane language, so I suggest those who are sensitive to it stay away.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Indeed, it is a great job, and I wholeheartedly agree with your rating. I also liked the fact that the book made you feel so different things, and the characters are very real. I loved reading your review, well done!
samps1910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samps1910.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by samps1910 »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 04 May 2021, 05:48 Indeed, it is a great job, and I wholeheartedly agree with your rating. I also liked the fact that the book made you feel so different things, and the characters are very real. I loved reading your review, well done!
Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”