Review by Mantha1 -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinsemoyin-adeola.html
Latest Review: A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva

Review by Mantha1 -- Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Akinsemoyin Adeola »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Tales of the 70's" by D.Done.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tales of the 70’s by David Done is a compilation of seven short stories and one novella. In this book, the author tells different short stories based on the scenarios that took place between the year 1970 and 1975, majorly in the city of San Francisco. One of these stories explores what could happen if someone suffering from mental illness also indulges in drugs.

I enjoyed the fact that the author gave each short story a unique title because it helped in knowing what to expect from the stories. The author portrayed life in the 70’s beautifully, which I think will give older readers a nostalgic feeling when they read some of the stories, especially those who grew up in San Francisco. Also, it will transport younger readers to an era different from the one they are used to, thereby giving them an idea of how things were done in those days. This is one element I enjoyed because I was able to picture the 70’s through the author’s eyes, even though I was not born at the time.

One other thing I loved about this book was how enthralling and engaging the stories in it were. The book draws you in from the first story, and one just keeps going until the end. As expected of short stories, the stories are short and the author also ensured that the entire book is a quick read, which I appreciate about this book. I liked how readers can also pick lessons from some of the stories in this book. One of such lessons is the effect of mental illness if left untreated and how it could affect the victims as well as the people around them.

The only thing I was not too thrilled about was the fact that most of the stories either ended on a sad note or felt like they were incomplete in a way because the author left it to the imagination of the readers. Other than that, I had a good time reading this book. I noticed just a few errors in this book, but this did not affect my reading experience in any way and I believe it was well edited by professionals. I am rating Tales of the 70's by David Done four out of four stars for good storytelling, and because I did not regret picking it up to read.

This book is suitable for adults who enjoy reading short stories, but I cannot recommend it to readers who are under-aged because of the profanities used in it.

Tales of the 70's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the story of the ocelot and burglars is everyone’s favorite. It is a pity that the author did not invest a little more effort and further refined the book.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 24 May 2021, 12:39 I think the story of the ocelot and burglars is everyone’s favorite. It is a pity that the author did not invest a little more effort and further refined the book.
I'm glad you get my point. Thanks for your words
jomana_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jomana-3.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by jomana_3 »

I too was disappointed when I found some stories not satisfying. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading the book, and I liked the darkness in it. Great review.
Akinsemoyin Adeola
Currently Reading:

jomana_3 wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 13:53 I too was disappointed when I found some stories not satisfying. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading the book, and I liked the darkness in it. Great review.
Thank you so much.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like short stories. It would be great to read stories set in the 70's. Thanks for your review.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

The 1970s are one of my favorite time frames, and I love reading fiction set in that era, but your review doesnot encourage me to seek out this book. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”