Review by caina3 -- Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
caina3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caina3.html
Latest Review: Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Review by caina3 -- Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz

Post by caina3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pearl River Mansion" by Richard Schwartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pearl River Mansion by Richard Schwartz is the second book in the Underdog Detective Series and is a must-read if you enjoy detective and mystery novels. The story centers around a wealthy family in Mississippi, but all their secrets become revealed when tragedy befalls them.

Tyler Chandler was born into a life of wealth and privilege. Out of spite, he denies his mother's money, gets a job, and lives in a trailer with his wife Sarah and their two kids, twins, Cody and Rachael. Cody is Tyler's favorite, and Rachael receives no positive attention or love from her father. But when Sarah dies, Tyler is left to raise the twins on his own, and everything starts to unravel. He consents for Joan, his mother, to adopt Rachael, but Sarah's side of the family wants to adopt her as well; sadly, innocent Rachael is kidnapped, and her grandfather, Billy Ray, goes missing. The case to find Rachael and Billy Ray goes cold. Emily, Sarah's sister, hires detectives Jack Kendall and Stacy Young, hoping they can help find her missing niece and father.

The characters in this book are well developed and natural; I couldn't help getting involved in the emotional experiences that they went through. When a story makes your heart beat fast, gasp out loud, or become outwardly frustrated while you're reading it, that's when you know you have a book worth your time to read. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

One of the benefits of reading a great story is the awareness it can bring to the reader's mind about people and society. I couldn't help think the tragedies experienced in this family could have been prevented if Tylor had been raised in a more loving environment. I felt his childhood was more about him being controlled for appearance's sake, being a possession instead of a living, breathing individual, and using materialism to replace the love and guidance a child needs from a parent. I would not allow his upbringing to excuse his actions, but one can certainly understand why he was a selfish person who couldn't relate to his daughter.

The book flowed naturally and was easy to read until I came across a spelling or grammar error. There is a minimal number of errors in reference to the book's length, but a few of the mistakes would require me to reread the section and take away from the story's momentum.

The book is edited professionally; the number of errors does not warrant a lower rating. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for adult readers because of the mature themes encountered throughout the story, such as racism, murder, kidnapping, and infidelity.

Pearl River Mansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

This sounds like a great novel with a gripping premise! Thank you for the thorough review.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Hmm! This story sounds like a good one. All goes wrong for a wealthy family in Mississippi when all their secrets become revealed. I can't wait to find out the details. Thanks for the review.
DENMARK PALOA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DENMARK PALOA »

This book is for the awareness of people and our society this time it's a big impact for this generation to know what is going on in our society and people's doing. # River Mansion
Hlompho Maleka

Post by Hlompho Maleka »

This book is for the awareness of people and our society this time it's a big impact for this generation to know what is going on in our society and people's doing. # River Mansion
Jacey Omah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jacey Omah »

Thanks allot for the review,l can't wait to go through the book and see for myself how inspiring it is
Sweetness N
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sweetness N »

This book is for awareness of people and our society this time it's a big impact to our generation
#RiverMansion
Ahibi Gift
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion

Post by Ahibi Gift »

This book is for awareness of people and our society this time it's a big impact to our generation
#RiverMansion
Jesse Oloko

Post by Jesse Oloko »

#RiverMansion

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”