Review by Dzejn_Crvena -- Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dzejn_Crvena -- Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wonks" by William Reese Hamilton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wonks by William Reese Hamilton recounts the story of non-Asians who were cramped in an enclosure during World War II when the Japanese invaded the Philippines. Let us follow the life of Johnny Oldfield in the camp as he struggles to survive in living quarters, as well as his shenanigans with his mischievous playmates and older folks to avoid boredom and maintain their sanity. When left to his own devices, he becomes more contemplative. When is the war going to end? Will he be able to see his father? Is there hope for Americans to win this fight?

The titular name refers to a pack of big yellow dogs that wander about in the streets of North China. The wonks would usually wreak havoc in the villages when the pack population gets uncontrolled. In other words, when Johnny and his friends are called wonks, they are acting like a bunch of troublemakers with a high chance of getting to an unfortunate end.

The plot is full of action-packed adventure as well as dramatic effects. Consequently, the author can provide comical relief in serious situations where I almost tear up a little. The punch lines hit me right in the funny bones. A very engaging story to read: there is no dull moment, and with something new stories to tell. Ultimately, there is a suspense build-up near the end of the novel. The characters have well-described personalities. Each person has a story to tell in each chapter, and I became attached to them. I am sure Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn would enjoy hanging out with Johnny Oldfield. Reading the whole story takes me back to my high school days when I read my country's history books. The mentions of the names of the places and leaders involved made me think everything in the book is non-fiction. This book is family-oriented and raises relevant issues on racism, philosophy, and politics.

William Reese Hamilton is a master of writing a narrative with distinct language that sounds new to my ears. Some may consider it a flaw, but to me, it is a non-conventional take on creative writing. Many conversations do not follow the correct syntax of the grammar rules, but I will leave them as they are to retain his signature style.

I give Wonks a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book looks well-edited to me. The overall vibes of the story make me feel at home, so it relates to me as a Filipino. For someone who considers the book an all-time favorite, I cannot find anything to dislike in the book.

I highly recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction set during World War II in Asia (particularly in the Philippines). However, the book contains a graphic description of sexual stuff and a vivid description of human torture and animal cruelty, so heads up for the sensitive readers who might find them upsetting. While the main character is a teenager, I consider the book to be more appropriate for more mature readers.

Wonks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing. I have also read this book and absolutely loved it. I could see myself in that concentration camp exploring with the protagonists and his flamboyant friend.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Boredom, insanity, havoc, and survival would push just about anyone to their breaking point. It sounds like this novel contained some mature but realistic content that was highly representative of the historical time period featured. Thank you for providing such a helpful review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

As a Filipino, I liked that I could easily envision the places mentioned in the book, which made it easier to follow. I never got to continue reading though, so I didn't get to the parts that had torture and animal cruelty. Thank you for the heads up and the descriptive review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the book is full of action and dramatic moments. The review definitely got me interested in the book.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Presenting this story from a different vantage point is a great way to learn more about WWII. Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Thank you for the incredible review! It does provide a different perspective. Unfortunately, it is not exactly the book for me.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

It seems like an equally educational and captivating story. I would love to find out more about that part of the world. Thank you for your recommendation and great review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not big on historical fiction, but it sounds like Johnny and his friends really kept the laughter going. I love a book with great character development and humor as well. Thanks for the great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Mtibza eM wrote: 28 May 2021, 16:07 Thank you for sharing. I have also read this book and absolutely loved it. I could see myself in that concentration camp exploring with the protagonists and his flamboyant friend.
My younger self would enjoy hanging out with them, too!
Thanks for stopping by.
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 29 May 2021, 13:27 Boredom, insanity, havoc, and survival would push just about anyone to their breaking point.
Indeed. Good thing they managed to survive the prison camp.
Thank you for your insight!
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

smolbird wrote: 30 May 2021, 04:17 As a Filipino, I liked that I could easily envision the places mentioned in the book, which made it easier to follow.
SAME! I wanted to hear more WWII stories from our lolos and lolas, so I'm glad to find this book.
The scenes with torture were very painful to read, so I have to warn the others, too.
Thank you for the comment, kababayan!
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

markodim721 wrote: 30 May 2021, 13:23 I like that the book is full of action and dramatic moments. The review definitely got me interested in the book.
Yay! Hope you like it.
Thanks for showing interest in the book.
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

MsH2k wrote: 30 May 2021, 21:58 Presenting this story from a different vantage point is a great way to learn more about WWII. Thank you for a great review!
Thank you for your comment.
Now I'm thinking of reading WWII books set in Africa. :techie-reference:
Dzejn_Crvena

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

RayRuff wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 09:44 Thank you for the incredible review! It does provide a different perspective. Unfortunately, it is not exactly the book for me.
Understandable. Not every book is fit for everyone.
Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”