Review by Hunter_T -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Review by Hunter_T -- Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Hunter Tester »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Love, Grandma" by Ann Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What comes to mind when you think of visiting your grandmother’s house? Maybe it is the food, the activities you do together, or just the selfless love that she gives to you. In Love, Grandma by Ann Morris, the author brings to life the joys of being a grandmother. Payton and Haley are two sisters who do many different kinds of activities with their grandmother. They play with toys, read books, bake cookies, do crafts, and that’s just the beginning! Grandma has a special bond with her granddaughters, and she wants to spend as much time as possible with them. Along the way the sisters are having so much fun, but also Grandma’s love is growing with each moment.

There is so much to love about this children’s book. For one, the story is so relatable. Growing up, my sister and I stayed each weekend with my grandparents. With each page I read, the pictures brought to memory something specific that I did with my grandmother. The time she spent with us and the joy that brought her can be seen in this book as well. We used to create a fort by stretching a bedsheet across chairs, and this is also in the book. Another aspect I liked about the book was the illustrations. They are simple and colorful. The images aren’t overly complicated, and they get the message across well. For example, the granddaughters find many colorful buttons that Grandma owned. The illustrator conveys this by showing the buttons up in the air and the children being overly excited about them. I think this page will be a fun image for the audience to see.

I hardly have any negative things to say about the book. While using the horizontal view on the kindle app, words were sometimes cut out of the screen. The author may take note of this if they want it to be easily viewed across apps and devices.

With that said, I give Love, Grandma 4 out of 4 stars easily. It is a very touching story that will move you and make you miss your grandparents. I love the memories I have with my grandmother, and that will always be a part of me. The visual representation on each page was very well done.

Children of an early age would enjoy this book, especially those that have a special relationship with their grandmother. It would be a good story for parents to read to their children before bed. This book would be appropriate for early elementary schoolers to read themselves. Some pages contain more sentences, however, so this could possibly be overwhelming to a new reader. While this is a children’s book, I believe all ages could benefit from reading it. I am almost 30 and the book moved me as well. I could only see this being a problem if a child either doesn’t have any grandmothers living, or they have a bad relationship with their grandmother. Lastly, I found Love, Grandma to be exceptionally well-edited with zero grammar or spelling mistakes.

Love, Grandma
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I reviewed this book too, and while I also had a special relationship with my grandma, I find that it's too oriented towards girly activities. This is, of course, because the granddaughters of the author are girls, but I think it narrows down the audience. What do you think?
I loved your moving review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Lunastella wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:48 I reviewed this book too, and while I also had a special relationship with my grandma, I find that it's too oriented towards girly activities. This is, of course, because the granddaughters of the author are girls, but I think it narrows down the audience. What do you think?
Thanks so much!! I could see that. I am the only grandson on one side of the family, so I was often doing things with my sister and girl cousins. I also had my grandfather to do more “manly” things with as well. So I guess there was a balance.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Hunter_T wrote: 18 May 2021, 11:10
Lunastella wrote: 18 May 2021, 10:48 I reviewed this book too, and while I also had a special relationship with my grandma, I find that it's too oriented towards girly activities. This is, of course, because the granddaughters of the author are girls, but I think it narrows down the audience. What do you think?
Thanks so much!! I could see that. I am the only grandson on one side of the family, so I was often doing things with my sister and girl cousins. I also had my grandfather to do more “manly” things with as well. So I guess there was a balance.
I'm a "girly" girl, but I had a brother and a lot of cousins, so I know many times not even girls like to do that kind of stuff. I understand the author's intentions, but it stood out to me she could've included something less gender-specific, like sports.
Either way, I loved your review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Lunastella wrote: 18 May 2021, 18:03
I'm a "girly" girl, but I had a brother and a lot of cousins, so I know many times not even girls like to do that kind of stuff. I understand the author's intentions, but it stood out to me she could've included something less gender-specific, like sports.
I see what you mean. Thanks!!! Apparently you’re supposed to capitalize apps, otherwise I would’ve have my first perfect score. Maybe I should stick to children’s books for now. Haha

Hunter_T wrote: 19 May 2021, 09:17
Lunastella wrote: 18 May 2021, 18:03

I see what you mean. Thanks!!! Apparently you’re supposed to capitalize apps, otherwise I would’ve have my first perfect score. Maybe I should stick to children’s books for now. Haha
:lol: You'll do great, you'll see.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

Cool review. My grandmothers died before I had the chance to know them and this book really resonated with me as I imagined what my relationship with them could have been like. Thanks for this!
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Ahbed Nadir wrote: 20 May 2021, 02:47 Cool review. My grandmothers died before I had the chance to know them and this book really resonated with me as I imagined what my relationship with them could have been like. Thanks for this!
Thank you for your touching comment. I’m sorry you never had a chance to know them.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the author took family values ​​and healthy interpersonal relationships as a basis. These are important lessons that children need to learn. Thanks for the good review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

markodim721 wrote: 30 May 2021, 13:18 I like the fact that the author took family values ​​and healthy interpersonal relationships as a basis. These are important lessons that children need to learn. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for checking out my review!
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

I think I wanna be a child all over again so as to play on granny's laps again. Such books are very good for children, and they bring back good memories in adults, too. Thanks for your review.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

John Owen wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 08:58 I think I wanna be a child all over again so as to play on granny's laps again. Such books are very good for children, and they bring back good memories in adults, too. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for your comment and for reading my review!
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

What a lovely book review. This seems like such a celebratory book in praise of the grandmother/granddaughter relationship! Grandparents have so much to offer their grandchildren, and it is such a gift when they take time to do special activities together. This book would be perfect to read on Grandparents Day in the schools and at home. Thank you for the touching review.
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

This is something I would read to my son every time he misses his grandmothers. It sounds like such a lovely book. Thank you for your review.
Hunter Tester
Currently Reading:

Post by Hunter Tester »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 14:10 What a lovely book review. This seems like such a celebratory book in praise of the grandmother/granddaughter relationship! Grandparents have so much to offer their grandchildren, and it is such a gift when they take time to do special activities together. This book would be perfect to read on Grandparents Day in the schools and at home. Thank you for the touching review.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to read my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”