Review by AbhyarnaAman -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Review by AbhyarnaAman -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Legacy of Job’s Wife by Cynthia J. Koelker is a fantastically crafted fictional retelling of The Book of Job. It gives some sort of explanation and justice to the character of Job’s wife, who asked him to ‘curse God and die’. While I did not fully understand the problem of theodicy, even after reading this book, I believe someone would. This book is a step closer to understanding what the Bible intends to teach.

Ixi’ses is the protagonist, who is born to honest, hardworking, and loving parents. Her life since birth is depicted in detail, especially the childhood part where she first comes across the question of theodicy when her beloved lamb died accidentally. Job is her neighbor and his family is close to Ixis'es' family. Job’s and Ixi’ses’ fondness for each other appears to be predetermined. While two families keep prospering, the love story of our protagonist sees some ups and downs until she finally gets married to Job, who is a god-loving, polite and wise man. He is shown to have all the possible virtues and no faults. Amid their prosperity, Job and his wife are blessed with ten children, countless farm animals, and a vast land to feed anyone who seeks their help for survival. Job becomes the man of repute in the city, buys the most lavish house, and yet remains humble and committed to his earlier tendency of helping the unprivileged and being thankful to God.

Their lives turned upside down when the family loses all their children, farm animals, and many breadwinners of the families working for Job. Job also fell sick of some worm-infested skin disease. Soon, his image in society deteriorated to be the one who is cursed, who could bring bad luck to the whole city. Everybody including his childhood friends humiliated him. Even after such catastrophe he did not lose his faith in God and continued to believe that ‘God giveth and God taketh away’. The family survived the tough times to flourish again and enjoy a train of grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

The author’s writing style is commendable. Before every chapter, Koelker gave a paragraph about the unfateful times the Job’s family would face. It spiked the interest in the story. There was just one typological error in the book; editors certainly did their work well. The author is successful to give the perception of Job’s wife about the famous tale from the Bible.

Few things that left me intrigued about the story are questions like ‘why did Job stop giving sacrifices if his faith was unmoved?’, ‘How could there be such a flawless personality as that of Job?’. The story seemed too perfect to be true. Keeping these points in view, I rate this 3 out of 4 stars.

Whoever wants to know more about the book of Job should read this book. It might not appeal to the atheist audience. There are descriptions of animals being sacrificed though not in detail, reader’s discretion is advised. The book is free from obscenity and abusive words.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Fictional retelling of The Book of Job with a perspective to understand what is stated in the Bible about the same incident. Thank you for the detailed review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

DANAWEB wrote: 16 May 2021, 11:51 Fictional retelling of The Book of Job with a perspective to understand what is stated in the Bible about the same incident. Thank you for the detailed review!
:tiphat:
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Amazing book this is. I too really wish to understand why Job's wife showed the characters she showcased. I believe this fictional story would do justice as your review showed. Thank you for a job well done.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Chizioboli wrote: 19 May 2021, 06:48 Amazing book this is. I too really wish to understand why Job's wife showed the characters she showcased. I believe this fictional story would do justice as your review showed. Thank you for a job well done.
Thanks for your motivating words!!! :tiphat:
By Rob White
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

As a Christian, this story will really help to strengthen my faith. And I must commend Job for his unwavering faith in God, despite OW miserable is life turned to be. Thanks for an insightful review.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Looks like this book has described Job's faith in God well. Still, I don't think religious books are my cup of tea.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Sou Hi wrote: 24 May 2021, 04:39 Thanks for your interesting review. Looks like this book has described Job's faith in God well. Still, I don't think religious books are my cup of tea.
any religion or particularly this one?
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

:tiphat:
Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 23 May 2021, 03:16 As a Christian, this story will really help to strengthen my faith. And I must commend Job for his unwavering faith in God, despite OW miserable is life turned to be. Thanks for an insightful review.
By Rob White
DeeFadzyie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deefadzyie.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DeeFadzyie »

This is an impressive review as I am seeing a lot of things that I missed whilst reading the book. The book really did justice to Ix'ises side of the story.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

DeeFadzyie wrote: 28 May 2021, 16:53 This is an impressive review as I am seeing a lot of things that I missed whilst reading the book. The book really did justice to Ix'ises side of the story.
Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
By Rob White
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the thorough review, it definitely aroused my interest in the book.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

markodim721 wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 13:03 Thanks for the thorough review, it definitely aroused my interest in the book.
my pleasure !!!
By Rob White
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I also dislike a character that is too perfect to be true. Thank you for this great review!
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 08 Jun 2021, 05:00 I also dislike a character that is too perfect to be true. Thank you for this great review!
Thanks. for your kind words
By Rob White

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”