Review by Mtibza eM -- The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Review by Mtibza eM -- The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last Lumenian" by S.G. Blaise.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last Lumenian is a science fiction and fantasy novel authored by S.G. Blaise. It is a standalone and a first in the series. It is gripping and moving. Filled with action and suspense, this book will have you guessing what’s next and have you turning the pages vigorously, eager to find out more.

Lilla is a nineteen-year-old princess. Her mother died, and she is now left with her father, who is the king of Uhna. She doesn’t see eye to eye with her father. One day, while Lilla is at her father’s wedding ceremony, she escapes to the kitchen because she can’t stand being there. Pretending to be happy about this ceremony proves to be harder than she has actually thought. Lilla hates Beathag, the woman her father is marrying, for what she has done to her years back. While Lilla is in the kitchen and conversing with Eita, a servant that is dear to her and whom she actually considers a friend, guards barge in and ask for identities. That’s when they find out that Eita is an illegal refugee, so they take her away.

Lilla decides to search for Eita. She asks Glenna, her long-time closest friend, to help. That is when Lilla is exposed to the cruel environment refugees are subjected to. She then secretly joins the rebels in fighting for the rights of the refugees, meaning she is now working against her father. While being part of the rebellions, she finds out that a much greater threat is looming, one that is bigger than her. There is someone who is looking for her and who will stop at nothing to find her. Who is Lilla? Where does she come from? Who was her mother? What role does she play in the Era War? Find out more by reading this book.

This was such a magnificent book, and I enjoyed reading it. I loved how thick the plot was because it never ran out in the middle. It just kept on going, and I kept on turning the pages. So much was going on, I couldn’t get enough. Lilla was such a great character that I couldn’t stop myself from loving her. She was a brave girl who knew what she wanted and stood firm to what she strongly believed in. It was good seeing a girl like her who knew what was right and what was wrong. Her character was realistic because, for a girl her age, she didn’t have everything figured out. She had emotions, on the other hand, to figure out. She made mistakes in the process and broke one boy’s heart. I loved that her character was relatable.

The author made sure that the backstory of each character is given in a digestible and convincing way. In the middle of the book, I already knew what role each character was playing. I knew who to trust and who to be wary of. But this didn’t stop me from being blind to the ending as I didn’t see it coming.

The book was well written. The dialogue and the narration were well balanced. Nothing overlapped. The descriptions painted perfect images in my mind that I didn’t feel left out. The narration made me part of the story. I felt like I was inside, not outside looking in. I loved how the author didn’t overdo the switching of point of views like most books of this genre tend to do. The usage of present tense made me feel like I was experiencing the action live. This book was written in a first-person narrative. I felt close and intimate with Lilla. I felt her fears, I knew her doubts, and I definitely saw how courageous she was. Although the book is mostly an epic fantasy, I loved the elements of science fiction it embodied. It was refreshing as it brought out a unique feel to it.

There is nothing I frowned upon or disliked in this book. It far exceeded my high expectations.

I came across a missing closing quotation mark and a few errors that weren’t enough, though, to dilute the book’s quality. Besides that, I am convinced the book was professionally edited. It contains no profanities, and vulgar language wasn’t employed. Taking everything into account, I am proud to rate The Last Lumenian by S.G Blaise 4 out of 4 stars. The book will appeal to everyone who loves sci-fi, fantasy, and an action-packed book. It doesn’t discriminate against any religion or persons. Themes of refugees, incest, wars, and magic can be found. There are kissing scenes but nothing sexually explicit than that.

The Last Lumenian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Wow, I already love this book! That it is written in the first person, and that it contains magic as one of the themes makes it even more appealing. Thank you for a wonderful review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

This sounds like a really good book! I enjoy stories where children are forced to determine right and wrong, regardless of the opinions and actions of their parents. It sounds like a good coming of age story.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a well-written beginning to the series. I see what you mean about having a consistent point of view throughout the book. It lets you have a deeper relationship with the protagonist. Thank you for your take on this one!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

This science fiction novel narrates the story of Lilla, a young girl with a big part to play in the kingdom's war. Many questions arise, and the author navigates these with ease, capturing the readers' attention at every turn.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

It's good that there are no sexually explicit scenes. I hope I find the book interesting as well. Thanks for your review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Kike17 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 17:43 It's good that there are no sexually explicit scenes. I hope I find the book interesting as well. Thanks for your review.
Thank you very much for stopping by.
Fireside119 wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 16:55 This science fiction novel narrates the story of Lilla, a young girl with a big part to play in the kingdom's war. Many questions arise, and the author navigates these with ease, capturing the readers' attention at every turn.
Thank you for your comment.
MsH2k wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 19:33 This sounds like a well-written beginning to the series. I see what you mean about having a consistent point of view throughout the book. It lets you have a deeper relationship with the protagonist. Thank you for your take on this one!
Thank you very much for reading and commenting.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

aodonnell wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 15:30 This sounds like a really good book! I enjoy stories where children are forced to determine right and wrong, regardless of the opinions and actions of their parents. It sounds like a good coming of age story.
It is also entertaining. Thank you for stopping by.
C Janet wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 14:56 Wow, I already love this book! That it is written in the first person, and that it contains magic as one of the themes makes it even more appealing. Thank you for a wonderful review!
Thank you very much!!! :tiphat:
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

First, I must note that Beathag is an awful name. If the character matched the name, no wonder the princess wasn't happy about her new stepmom. Beyond that, this sounds like a great story; I love the focus on a strong female character fighting for justice in her own kingdom, not getting distracted by "romance" (though I wish she could've focused without being a heartbreaker). Thank you for your review on what seems to be a thrilling book!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I loved your description of the characters and the plot! This sounds like an amazing series. The name of Beathag struck me, too! The author has a knack for giving characters names that seem to fit their personalities. Thanks for this fascinating recommendation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a must-read! I love great characters and character-driven stories, so I would check this one out for sure :) Thank you for your brilliant review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

You had me at "this book will have you guessing what’s next and have you turning the pages vigorously, eager to find out more". Your review is so enticing. I'm definitely adding this one to my bookshelf. Absolutely great job with the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Jeff Kanda
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Wow! What a wonderful review! I have to read this book.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Jeff Kanda wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:41 Wow! What a wonderful review! I have to read this book.
Thank you. You definitely have to.
Nqobile771 wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:26 You had me at "this book will have you guessing what’s next and have you turning the pages vigorously, eager to find out more". Your review is so enticing. I'm definitely adding this one to my bookshelf. Absolutely great job with the review.
:lol: wow! Thank you very much.
Ellylion wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 06:52 Sounds like a must-read! I love great characters and character-driven stories, so I would check this one out for sure :) Thank you for your brilliant review!
It definitely is. I appreciate you stopping by.
kdstrack wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 21:33 I loved your description of the characters and the plot! This sounds like an amazing series. The name of Beathag struck me, too! The author has a knack for giving characters names that seem to fit their personalities. Thanks for this fascinating recommendation.
Thank you very much.
Jagiine wrote: 09 Jun 2021, 18:38 First, I must note that Beathag is an awful name. If the character matched the name, no wonder the princess wasn't happy about her new stepmom. Beyond that, this sounds like a great story; I love the focus on a strong female character fighting for justice in her own kingdom, not getting distracted by "romance" (though I wish she could've focused without being a heartbreaker). Thank you for your review on what seems to be a thrilling book!
Thank you for reading and commenting.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Sounds like a page-turner!
I chuckled a bit at Beathag's name.
I'm interested in what will happen next in the story.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”