Review by Joy C -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by Joy C -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko

Post by Joy C »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a land where magic, humanity, and a bit of the spiritual converge, one would expect to see the extraordinary happen. This is the story of Voulhire. From the dramatic siege and colonization of the small town of Hillport by Meldorath in the introductory book, We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko welcomes us to Virko, Voulhire’s most productive city, a land soon to experience its own sorrows. The book begins in the depths of the Virken Woods where we meet Folcro, son of Lord Venden Hrelek, the Lord of Virko. Lord Venden had built Virko into a vibrant economic hub, and he preserved its rich culture while it evolved. Now old and sick with a terminal ailment, his wish was the Virken state under the control of King Wilhelm rather than the Sovereignty of the Lords and elites after his demise. This is because their quest for riches and power had drawn the state away from the church and all forms of religion. How would he get his wish?

Money and politics, two important forces that cannot be overlooked in any nation, plus a deep thirst for power would be the undoing of Virko. The trio of Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius soon arrive in Virko in search of iron. How would they know the deep secrets this bustling city holds? They meet an unexpected turn when their search brings them to the bedside of the dying Lord Venden who tasks them with a different mission in return for his favor. We also meet Alabaster de Lasette, Lord Meldorath’s mentor who has quite some dirty tricks up his sleeves. He escapes from jail and teams up with Lord Meldorath. What would these turn of events presage for Voulhire? Though slow, it appears evil is steadily gaining ground in this nation with Virko in flames, Hillport destroyed, Eiodi Gadesh killed, and Yamon Soul taken over by Lord Meldorath. However, both the King and the Mianora seem oblivious to these events.

I like that the book is quite short, and just like the first book in the series, I found this is also exceptional. There is a lot to learn as the book is quite philosophical with conversations that draw one in. An example is this excerpt from page 33 — “Every moment is an experience and every experience a gift. All you have to do is recognize it and every day would feel just like the celebration we’re having right now”. Another of such I appreciated is this — “Talent is great but not as powerful as the power of will” (page 90). One of my favorite scenes is that between the Vilendrian guards and Alabaster when the guards arrive at the Hillport castle as pretend merchants. As with all Matthew Tysz’s books, his description of events and people further raised my excitement as I hoped the 7 guards would leave Hillport alive. Luckily, Lord Meldorath wanted them to.

I did find nothing to dislike about this book except at some point, the author dragged some conversations and character details, which made those parts quite tiresome. I can say We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is professionally edited since I found just a single error which in no way undermines the book. Thus, I rate it four out of four stars. Not only that, but I would not rate it less because I enjoyed the story. I loved the way the author utilized dialogues to make it even more relatable and seem real.

The first book in this series laid a foundation for the story, and I believe it should be read before this one to appreciate the story better. Magic, violence, and gory details abound in this book, and slight hints on sexual orientations. Also, the church of Destinism, the primary religious body of Voulhire, uses both magic and spirituality in its practices. Some persons who might be sensitive to these or others who might find these difficult to accept may have to pass. On the other hand, persons who love the thrill of adventure irrespective of the aforementioned would enjoy this book. As expected, the author leaves us guessing what would happen next, and I am the more excited to follow the story.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Matthew Tysz deserves all the praise for his ability to design an entire world. I think both the book and the whole series have film potential. Thanks for the good review.
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

markodim721 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 07:14 Matthew Tysz deserves all the praise for his ability to design an entire world. I think both the book and the whole series have film potential. Thanks for the good review.
I agree with you totally. He's a descriptive in himself and the series would make for an award winning movie. Thanks for your comments on my review
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The quote was really good. The Author always has these quotes which are interesting to read. However, I didn't really enjoy the second book as much as I wished to.
Thank you for an delightful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”