Review by Abby Heitzman -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abby Heitzman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-heitzman.html
Latest Review: Fates Sweet Passion by Patricia Crumpler

Review by Abby Heitzman -- Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Abby Heitzman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterworks by Jack Winnick is a 253-page thrilling spy novel. The novel follows a fictional, but realistic scenario in which the US is under attack by Iranian extremists. It also acknowledges the struggles of being separated from your significant other for an extended period of time.

The two main characters are Lara and Uri, a couple who are notorious for their reconnaissance work for the United States’ government. The water in Los Angeles gets poisoned by a deadly element know as Polonium. It is almost impossible to detect because such a small amount is lethal, and most water plants don’t test for it because it’s so rare. Since this threat was perpetrated by a foreign government, Lara and Uri are called in to infiltrate the Iranian government and figure out where the next attack will be. They are split up and sent to Iran with their appearances altered because their faces are too conspicuous. Lara lives with a host family and works in the military intelligence division to translate the fake United States’ messages that the Iranians are allowed to intercept. Uri gets sent to the military operations division, and he translates messages about troop movements in the US and gathers information about Iran’s response before it happens. Things seem to be going well, but the Iranians can’t decide where to strike next, and the United States can’t guard all of the water sources. After some major breakthroughs and the threat of recognition, the couple must escape quickly and help the US combat the next attack.

There were many aspects of the book that I loved. For example, it had quite a few plot twists and multiple characters' perspectives, so I never got bored while reading it. Also, the author’s note says that all of the science referenced in the book already exists. This was a pleasant change from other books that include science. I definitely learned quite a bit about the water filtration process and the element Polonium. Since the characters go to Iran the author included a lot about the culture there. There were many descriptions of the traditional meals, prayer, and women’s place in society.

There wasn’t really anything that I didn’t like about the book. All around, I think the author did a fantastic job developing the plot and including authentic science.

Due to the reasons stated above, I rated this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries. There were a few swear words, so I think parents should use their discretion when allowing their teenagers to read this book.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

I love the Lara and Uri series! Fortunately, the series can be read in random order and it is very easy to comprehend what is happening. I have not been able to read the books in order, but I know what is happening. It is hard to believe that the characters are not real! The author was very creative in how he incorporated fiction and nonfiction together to make a realistic story. I have to say that there were many boring scenes for me, such as the same routines that Uri did. However, I enjoy reading about Lara and Uri's relationship. There were many deaths in this story, which one do you think was the most horrific?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”