Review by Jagiine -- Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Review by Jagiine -- Sock Lobsters by Michelle Bulriss

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bulriss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Over the past few years, my mom has really gotten into loom knitting. She has gotten so good that she’s making her own patterns for unique projects, such as hats and dolls. Some of the most amazing projects she’s designed are one-of-a-kind sock pairs. Still, even her most inventive socks don’t hold a flame to the magical lobster socks starring in Michelle Bulriss’s premiere narrative, Sock Lobsters.

The cotton arthropods were knit and gifted to Emily by her grandmother. From the moment they slid onto Emily’s feet, Lola and Sebastian were at home in their own ways. Lola, an innate finder of joy, was pleased to bring warmth to her wearer, while Sebastian was satisfied that “her feet don’t stink!” Though they had different outlooks on the world, the two socks were best friends. Unfortunately, things didn’t stay blissful for long. An accident threatened to tear the pair apart forever! Could Emily, Sebastian, and Lola find a way to overcome this trial?

From the very beginning, I could tell Sock Lobsters was something special. The cover art (designed by ebooklaunch.com) was adorable. The artist layered the title into the image, adding depth to the cover. The rest of the illustrations also caught my eye with their eclectic style. Bulriss included lots of little details to add to the fun of the story. For example, there were photos on the wall in Grandma’s house, and there was a painting on her bookshelf. The author took the artistic nature of the book even further by using sundry fonts and text colors for captions and onomatopoeia.

The actual writing almost reached the bar set by the images but not quite. The book was so well written that I felt invested in the socks’ wellbeing when drama arose, but the editor missed a couple of issues. I noted one minor inconsistency, one which I wouldn’t be surprised to find in many books but still could not help but stumble over. There was also a comma where a semicolon should have been.

Before concluding, I must mention that Bulriss inserted some noteworthy mental health elements in the book. She demonstrated the five stages of grief with realistic examples. The relevant pages held a serious tone with dark backgrounds and no distracting details, which conveyed the gravity of the situation while transporting this reader into the griever's mind. The characters also utilized coping techniques that have been lauded by mental health professionals.

All said and done, I want to give Sock Lobsters 3.5 stars. Alas, that’s just not possible. Though I find the inconsistency negligible, no children’s book should have grammatical errors, so I am extremely torn. Nevertheless, I do not see the merit in docking an entire star for one punctuation mix-up in a 28-page story. Thus, I rate this work 4 out of 4 stars with a strong suggestion that Bulriss fixes that errant punctuation mark!

I believe that parents and children alike will enjoy the tale of Lola and Sebastian. The walkthrough of grief and emotional management is sure to be an important resource for youngsters as their mental and emotional toolboxes develop, so I believe that all families with children under the age of 10 may benefit from reading Sock Lobsters.

Sock Lobsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

:D This book sounds very interesting. I love reading children books and I will like to read Sock Lobster one day. Thank you so much for your great review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Maybe it's a good thing your mom's knitted socks aren't quite like these; who'd want to wear talking socks?! *lmao*

But this book sounds like a real charmer, even if it does has seemingly sad parts. I'd love to take a brief trip into this story. Thanks for the intro!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Very interesting characters I must say! I believe kids will find this book intriguing. Thanks for an eloquent review.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

This sounds lovely, thanks for the incredible review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This sounds like an interesting book. Might give it a try.
Great review!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

How jealous of the looming accident to want to separate the two friends!
This book sounds interesting, talking socks? I must read this book and find out what the pair discusses. Your review was fun to read.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I love knitting! This sounds like an adorable story.
Sebastian's name sounds appropriate because he reminds me of that hermit crab in The Little Mermaid.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
El wamerni Mohamed
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by El wamerni Mohamed »

My opinion of this book is overwhelmingly positive. "Sock Lobsters" by Michelle Bullris is a delightful and entertaining story for children, while also carrying a meaningful message about sadness. The story is presented in a fun and engaging way, featuring unique and endearing characters. Children will enjoy reading and interacting with the story, while benefiting from the valuable lessons it imparts.

I particularly liked how the theme of sadness was addressed in the story, presented in a manner that is easy and understandable for children. The handling of the characters' emotions and their development throughout the story was well-balanced and inspiring. The illustrations were captivating and suited the story well, adding extra value to the reading experience.

Overall, I agree with the review rating the book four out of four stars. "Sock Lobsters" comes highly recommended for parents and children alike seeking a captivating and educational story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”