Review by Mercy Osmond -- Ark of the Apocalypse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Review by Mercy Osmond -- Ark of the Apocalypse

Post by Mercy Osmond »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ark of the Apocalypse" by Tobin Marks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is dead. The land thirst, water has become a rare commodity, food is lacking, making some of the people turn cannibals, thereby eating the weak ones. Countries are at war against each other, causing many deaths. The world's climate changed bringing sicknesses and reducing the population, keeping just a few alive. In the midst of this great peril, a starship was built to convey some of the people to another planet and seek refuge where they will build a new colony. Oblivious to what they will encounter, they surged ahead with the journey. The passengers will be put to sleep for ten years, before getting to the new planet. What will be the fate of the people? Will earth survive this great disaster and wait for their return? Will the people who traveled to this new planet survive the threats they will face?

Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks talks about how the world collapsed. The major characters in this breath-taking story are the Yanbeyeva and the Mizushima. The Yanbeyevas have a preternatural ability to foresee events. The world was oblivious that Mother Olga, one of the Yanbeyeva, was masterminding the disaster the world was facing. The Mizushimas created a ship that will help the people to flee to another planet.

Tobin's style in writing this book was very impressive; drawing the reader’s mind into the book and making them glued to the book till the end. I must commend the author for his creativity in making the book come alive. One would think the story is happening right in front of them. Tobin’s ability in developing the characters is splendid. I could relate with each of them. The multiple points of views (POVs) in the novel made it more interesting.

The character that I love most is Leka. Her gentle spirit and kindness in putting others first inspired me. When she was told to carry her sister’s child, she didn’t refuse, and when the mantle was handed over to her, she ruled with all humility, even when she didn’t have the preternatural abilities like the other Yanbeyevas, she still ruled well. This shows that one doesn’t need a gift or a talent to do great things, rather your character is a unique quality to do great things.

The book is professionally edited. Errors are almost next to none. The diction is concise and easy to grasp. The narrative is in-depth; Tobin did a very thorough research when writing this book. I was awed by some of the author’s narrative style. For instance, the way mother Olga astral projects to different places and the manner Nadya and the dragon communicate was really amazing.

Different languages were used in the story, and my expectation of a glossary was dashed because there’s none which any average reader would have loved to have for a proper understanding. However, the reader can still understand the language from the story line.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and to readers who want to try something new. I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, because it contains so many themes and it’s a very intriguing story that leaves a reader in a state of euphoria. I’m looking forward to the next episode of this book.

Ark of the Apocalypse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Wow.
First thing in noticed was the book cover, very Interesting.
I like sci-fi\mystery, but, cannibals?
I don't know.
I might give it a try though.

Thanks for a great review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I can't help but think of Daenerys Targaryen when I saw the cover.
This sounds like a dystopian book that will leave me thrilled overnight.
I read similar stories before, so I'll brace for the scary parts.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

zainherb wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 00:23 Wow.
First thing in noticed was the book cover, very Interesting.
I like sci-fi\mystery, but, cannibals?
I don't know.
I might give it a try though.

Thanks for a great review.
The cannibals scene were not very detailed. You will certainly enjoy the book. Thanks for your view.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 07:01 I can't help but think of Daenerys Targaryen when I saw the cover.
This sounds like a dystopian book that will leave me thrilled overnight.
I read similar stories before, so I'll brace for the scary parts.
Thank you for the review.
It's an interesting story. Am sure you will enjoy reading it. Thanks for commenting
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems very interesting and intriguing. I am already invested in this review and I'm eager to know what happens to the people from the earth, after they must have been out to sleep for 10 year.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Chigo Nwagboso wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 16:35 This book seems very interesting and intriguing. I am already invested in this review and I'm eager to know what happens to the people from the earth, after they must have been out to sleep for 10 year.
You will surely enjoy the book. Thanks for commenting
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific novel with very well constructed plot and characters, though seeing the cover I thought of Daenerys Targaryen as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

This is an interesting review. I wonder how the book would be. Looking forward to reading this book in the near future.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I read and reviewed this book as well. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting it to be. However, the writer is quite talented. If you're looking for more of an epic fantasy, this would definitely be the book for you. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The G.O.T. covered book has an interesting storyline. Put to sleep for 10 years - Cannot imagine how but okay. Thank you for a great review!
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I am not a fan of science fiction. It does sound a little intriguing, but not sure it is for me. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

NetMassimo wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 01:42 This seems like a terrific novel with very well constructed plot and characters, though seeing the cover I thought of Daenerys Targaryen as well. Thank you for your great review!
It is indeed. The author did an excellent job in his creative style in forming the plot and characters.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Chizioboli wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 03:40 This is an interesting review. I wonder how the book would be. Looking forward to reading this book in the near future.
It's an interesting story with lots of suspense. You will enjoy the book. Thanks for commenting.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercy Osmond »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 07:43 I read and reviewed this book as well. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting it to be. However, the writer is quite talented. If you're looking for more of an epic fantasy, this would definitely be the book for you. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Yeah, the author really did a good job in this book. Thanks for your view.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”