Review by Victor Kilyungi -- We are Voulhire: Someone El...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Review by Victor Kilyungi -- We are Voulhire: Someone El...

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through ideas, the Emperor of Lullabies communicates with a select few of the human race allowing them to experience this ideas as if they were real. He communicates with two of them and shows them the future of Voulhire and what role they might play in it. One of them refuses to allow the Emperor to turn his mind against him while the other makes a suggestion to the Emperor which will put him in a position to satisfy his ambitions but at what cost? Meanwhile, Shore against Soulhire, the case of the decade, is being discussed highly in Voulhire's capital. King Wilhelm's ruling on it will decide the fate of human beings in the Lands of the Princes who wish to immigrate into Voulhire. What decision does the king make and what are its repercussions? Is the Emperor of Lullabies willing to stand by and watch his taskforce snatched so easily?

Away from Soulhire, the Riva Rohavi headed by Vidius Crodai launch attacks on groups of the Mianoran Knights who stand in their way. Crodai already has an alliance with his accomplice in Soulhire and together they force the decision to divide the Mianoran army four ways. If Mianora is defeated will the king have absolute power? What are the implications of this and will Midius Maido, the leader of the Mianoran Council allow this to happen on his watch? Are all of these alliances being formed worth it or is everything being done only as a means to someone else’s end?

We are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz is the third instalment of the Voulhirian series and a captivating read from start to finish. We finally get deeper insights into the lives of the characters especially what reasons lie behind their actions and the secrets they’ve so cautiously managed to hide from us. I love the mystery behind the characters especially Lord Meldorath - a powerful character whom the author keeps revealing snippets of his life, philosophies and abilities little by little. The map and reference guide were important tools especially to remind those readers who forgot the terminology.

The one setback I noted was the few spelling errors of commonly used words that would have been eliminated by another round of editing. They did not hinder my appreciation for the book however.

This is a short, fast-paced book and for the accurate descriptions, funny bits, and satisfying storyline, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend it to lovers of fantasy especially those of multidimensional aspects and magic.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I’ve seen a few reviews for this series, and it seems to be very interesting. I don’t often read fantasy, but I might pick this series up. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

:liar:
maggi3 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 20:14 I’ve seen a few reviews for this series, and it seems to be very interesting. I don’t often read fantasy, but I might pick this series up. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. It's definitely worth the read. :D
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is fascinating to me that the author managed to conceive an entire civilization in a very convincing way.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

markodim721 wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 12:21 It is fascinating to me that the author managed to conceive an entire civilization in a very convincing way.
His imagination really is on point.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

I've read the first two books in the series and they are so good!! Your review confirms that voulhire gets better with every installment in the series. Thanks for such a great review!!
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

The frant1c reader wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 09:58 I've read the first two books in the series and they are so good!! Your review confirms that voulhire gets better with every installment in the series. Thanks for such a great review!!
I'm glad you enjoyed them. I did too. I can't wait to finish the whole series though it will be sad when it ends.😅
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I can't believe I only read the first book in this series. It seems to be getting more intriguing. Thanks for the terrific review and recommendation.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

Saint Bruno wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 17:23 I can't believe I only read the first book in this series. It seems to be getting more intriguing. Thanks for the terrific review and recommendation.
You're welcome. It's really taken flight.🥳
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I've read the first two books in this series. Hope to read this one too. I didn't really find book two to my liking. But after reading your review, it feels that things are taking interesting turns. Thank you for an insighful review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review, I have read and enjoyed this book.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

Kavita Shah wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 14:59 I've read the first two books in this series. Hope to read this one too. I didn't really find book two to my liking. But after reading your review, it feels that things are taking interesting turns. Thank you for an insighful review!
You're welcome. Matthew Tysz keeps surprising us more and more.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:

Mtibza eM wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 15:03 Thank you for sharing such a beautiful review, I have read and enjoyed this book.
That's incredible. 🥳
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you for this honest and detailed review.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Tysz is an excellent author with a talent for creating interesting characters. I prefer his darker themed books, but this series sounds somewhat interesting. I may give it a look. Thanks for the recommendation!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”