Review by Novela book -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of Hum...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Review by Novela book -- Rediscovering the Wisdom of Hum...

Post by Novela book »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature" by Chet Shupe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rediscovering the wisdom of human nature: how civilization destroys happiness by Chet Shupe, is the book that begins with the author’s belief in civilization’s influence on human beings. How civilization has caused humans to become anxious, bored and depressed. He answers this with several examples taken from today’s modern world. He implies that how animals kept in cages; actually resemble all the humans living in institutionalized society. That they have been restrained by societal laws and are made to live the modern institutional life. But does it make us overlook that humans are an intellectual species who left their natural order as they could and animals couldn’t? Shupe tried to demonstrate his views on people's present lives by comparing them to the lives of our ancestors who lived by spiritual laws of nature. He tells us that we humans can solely exist by listening to our ingrained feelings of safety, belonging and live interdependently.

Shupe further implies that, before the birth of civilization, living a life that is focused on the moment, not in the future was practised. But it changed when language came into existence. Language gave us the weapon to think of endless possibilities for the future. This lost them the connection to human nature and the spiritual being inside them. In the fear of what might the future hold, humans became emotionally isolated, lacked love and most importantly lost their “spiritual wealth”.They got trapped in this modern world of man-made laws, where they do what is being taught not what their spiritual souls tells them. This left none of the men free to their own true selves. He tried to convince people that life can again become where humans can be true to one’s feelings and be free to oblige their inner nature. They can experience love which comes from depending on each other.

I really liked the views showcased by the author on civilization and the breaking of the natural order by human beings. This sort of book makes you ponder on things that we unknowingly ignore. Today, humans only worry for their own lives and desires and thus, it has lost them the belongingness and safety which was present in their lives before. They have become separate beings and has isolated themselves. He constantly says humans have become emotional slaves to institutional subjugation; this is why humans are suffering and are in pain. I agree on this that we humans are subjugated by many laws and we are deprived of our self desires. But, it doesn’t mean that all humans should just do what he feels like, it can lead to more pain and suffering. You can't overlook what this human has achieved and will go on achieving. Everything comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. What makes a man achieve things, is his desire and it keeps on growing. Humans suffer pain when their desires clash with each other.

It is right to say humans have made themselves creatures of lawful subjugation but I can’t agree with everything being written about it in the book. Mankind is following a pattern and evolution is the most crucial part of the pattern. As we grow, our brain's functions increases and we make use of it. If mankind hasn’t evolved, it wouldn’t have made all the discoveries like electricity, medicine, automobile, computer, etc. It wouldn’t be fond of the truth behind its existence and the universe itself. They are curious creatures. They are meant to follow the laws made by the universe. They are purposed to find about their origin and also their surroundings. Even if humans leave this current institutionalized way of life and return to the natural order, they will again find ways to make things around them useful, question things, and create things. According to my understanding our natural purpose on earth is not just being supportive, to love or protect each other, it is to find the truth of all that we can see, experience and feel.

I will score this book 2 out of 4 stars due to reasons I have found difficult to agree upon. I will highly recommend this book to those who love to read about humans and their nature. This one has been completely written with the author’s desires for what modern civilization has done to human beings. It has no errors as per my ability. It is a well-edited and well-written book.

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The author in the book presents a very interesting and, I would say, original approach to the phenomenon of life. Thanks for the good review.
Novela book

Post by Novela book »

markodim721 wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 12:28 The author in the book presents a very interesting and, I would say, original approach to the phenomenon of life. Thanks for the good review.
Thanks for the comment :tiphat:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Like most pharmaceutical medications, civilizations has some damaging and unwanted side effects. How I long for a peace-filled world! Thanks for an awesome review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Novela book

Post by Novela book »

Nqobile771 wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 02:04 Like most pharmaceutical medications, civilizations has some damaging and unwanted side effects. How I long for a peace-filled world! Thanks for an awesome review!
You are absolutely right 😊. Who doesn't want a bit more peace in this world. Thanks for the comment.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I definitely find this book appealing, but I also understand your points. It's a complex subject that is really hard to cover in just a book. Thank you for the detailed review!
Novela book

Post by Novela book »

Laura Bach wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 12:59 I definitely find this book appealing, but I also understand your points. It's a complex subject that is really hard to cover in just a book. Thank you for the detailed review!
I appreciate your feedback :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”