Review by Brianna_MC_griffin97 -- Let The Children Come

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brianna_MC_griffin97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brianna-mc-griffin97.html
Latest Review: Finding James by Nancy Blaha

Review by Brianna_MC_griffin97 -- Let The Children Come

Post by Brianna_MC_griffin97 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Let The Children Come" by Tom Fay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At a very young age, George Müller had an addiction to drugs and alcohol. When George was fifteen years old, he lost his mother to cancer – the only person in the world who he felt truly loved him. After the loss, his addiction became worse. Five years later, George comes home from college and runs into his old friend, Beta, the best friend who introduced George to the drug life. However, Beta had changed – he became a Christian. At first, George was confused and angry because George did not understand how Beta, a prior drug addict, could become a Christian within two years. Later, George attends bible studies with Beta, and he eventually finds God and turns his whole life around within a few months.

Although George and his father never got along when George was growing up, his father was proud of him when he decided to go to college to be a lawyer. George hated the thought of being a lawyer, but it was the only way to make his father proud and to keep getting his tuition paid. As long as he kept his partying lifestyle a secret from his father, he received finances. After the summer of finding God, George wanted to change his major to Christian Theology. The tricky part was telling his father about the career change. He eventually got to the point in his life where his father was proud of him. If he told his father about changing majors, it could ruin everything. Eventually, he tells his father, and the outcome was not how George had imagined. George was kicked out and cut off from all of his father’s funds. What was George going to do now? How was he going to afford college? Will he forget about the Christian way of life and live the life his father set out for him? What is going to happen next?

Let the Children Come: The Life of George Müller is a Christian fiction novel written by Tom Fay. The story follows the life of George Müller, the main protagonist, and has a third-person point of view. This captivating story focuses on many topics, from redemption, love, and faith, to life struggles and heartaches. Although there are many happy moments, there are emotional scenes that will pull at the heartstrings. This piece of literature is a tear-jerker, and I found myself crying at many realistic heartrending scenes. Since there are sensitive topics, this reading may be too overwhelming for those who do not like reading about death and hardships. Nevertheless, this is truly an exceptional novel.

The element that I like the most is the plot. A fifteen-year-old boy turns to drugs, alcohol, and parties to forget how lonely he feels. Even after the death of his mother, he does not stop his substance abuse. He blamed himself for not being there when his mother took her last breath, but yet he continued his sinful ways. At first, it seems as though George was going to throw his life away. However, five years later, he finds redemption. This story shows that lost souls can find their way again, and people can change. It may take years and years for people to wake up and find their purpose, but it is possible.

The element that I dislike the most is that there were not enough sermons. Throughout the whole book, I was waiting to hear (or read) George preach, but there were not any sermons until the very end of the novel. There could have been more dialogues of preachers preaching to create a church vibe. Overall, I was pleased with this fascinating story.

Since I loved this book, Let the Children Come: The Life of George Müller deserves a score of 4 out of 4 stars. There were a few minor errors, such as the repetition of words. However, the errors are not distracting and do not diminish my overall rating of the book. Honestly, I thought that this book was going to be too religious for my taste. However, it was not. There was not any favoritism towards a specific religion. The main focus was on Christianity, not religious beliefs (e.g., Baptist, Pentecostal, Catholic). Since there was only borderline profanity (i.e., hell), this novel is appropriate for young adults. If you enjoy Christian and historical fiction, you will enjoy this reading. I believe anyone will enjoy this book. However, if you do not have an open mind, you may not like it.

Let The Children Come
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I’m not very religious, but this still sounds like a worthwhile read. I’m interested in how Müller is able to recover from his addictions and find his way to Christianity; addiction is a topic that I think needs to be talked about more. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Awesome review. It sad sometimes when parents don't make effort in understanding their children.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”