Review by Dzejn_Crvena -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dzejn_Crvena -- Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this contemporary fiction set at the onset of the new millennium, Kalayla revolves around the interconnected lives of three female characters in each respective generation. Told from multiple perspectives, this novel is a realistic portrayal of a story of a child, a mother, and a grandmother. In this harrowing tale, Kalayla LeeRoyce is a feisty girl who wants to be reconnected with her long-lost family. Maureen O’Rourke-LeeRoyce is doing her best in raising Kalayla while coping with the death of her spouse. And Lena Manero Barzetti, their landlady, is hiding a dark past that has been haunting her for more than a decade. They form an unlikely friendship that involves family issues that bind them together until they have to face each own demons.

How will Kalayla react if she finds out that her mother lied to her all these years? How will Maureen restore the connection between the family who disowned her and her child? What is Lena’s role in the reconciliation between Kalayla and Maureen?

My reading experience was a smooth-sailing journey. I did not have to stop for the words to sink into my understanding. The author’s engaging writing style is not challenging to read, and it did not confuse me when there were new characters. As for the story itself, I am constantly thinking about the aftermath of the relationship of the couple in If You Come Softly: What happens if they end up together and have a child? The main characters have gradual character development in the end, and I love the dynamics of how each one brings out the best in the others. They are humans like us with relatable problems. I like the usage of analogies in dealing with problems in life. Overall, I find this book inspirational for me to persevere in life when there is still a chance to pursue something and to let go of my fears.

The only thing that did not leave a lasting impression on me is the plot. There is no room for me to predict the outcome of their conflict. I expected the plot twist throughout introducing the novel, and I did not find any surprising revelation in the end. Also, Kalayla has overplayed rude behavior towards Lena even after all the pampering she got from “The Crabby Old Lady”.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. While Kalayla looks exceptionally well-edited to me, there is one conflict resolution that appears incomplete and rushed. I cannot stop thinking about it, and I was expecting a more realistic scene of the last encounter of the main characters with Clarence, Kalayla's uncle.

If you are looking for a slice-of-life story with family drama and diverse characters, this debut novel of Jeannie Nicholas is for you. Content warning: this book includes themes on racism, domestic abuse, and rape. Fans of Jacqueline Woodson should give this a try.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I too read Kayla and enjoyed it immensely.
I agree with your rating totally.

And yes, Kalayla and the rude behaviour, tsk...

Great review!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I also read Kalayla and thought it was a pretty enjoyable read. I agree about the ending, though; I thought the plot line with Clarence could have been handled much better. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I was disappointed with the way things were dealt with Clarence too. I understand that he went through a childhood trauma, but that does not excuse his behaviour as an adult.
I also felt irritated multiple times with Kalayla's behaviour. There's a fine line between sassy and plain rude, and she crossed that multiple times. I did not like the way she treated some of the people, especially Lena who did a lot for her even though they didn't need to.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I was interested in this book for quite some time. I didn't know that there were problems with the plot, so I think I should reconsider reading this book. Thank you for the detailed review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hate when one aspect of the story appears unfinished. Still, the characterization appears well done. I don't think the book is for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I have read this book a while back and I just loved it. The only thing that bothered me was that it was over way too soon, I would have liked to know what happened after the last chapter. Nevertheless, this was such a heart-warming story! Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like stories with well-developed characters and realistic problems, and this book sounds interesting. I enjoyed reading your review!
Oluwapelumi A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-a.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Oluwapelumi A »

I could not get past ten pages of this book. It just wasn't for me, u guess.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Family isn't always by blood. This book is q testament to that fact. Thanks for the amazing review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the plot bearers are women from three different generations.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

It sounded like an interesting read until I got to this book has "domestic violence and rape." I just cannot go there. I have not heard of Jacqueline Woodson either. Thank you for an informative review.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this book. I have read it and enjoyed. I recommend it to everyone.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

Thank you for the detailed and precise summary
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I just finished reading the book. It was really an interest story, the author did a good job in bringing the story to live. Thanks for the captivating review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”