Review by revathy sw -- We are Voulhire: The Knights of ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revathy sw
Favorite Book: The Wind in the Willows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revathy-sw.html
Latest Review: Mithra by John M. Rattenbury

Review by revathy sw -- We are Voulhire: The Knights of ...

Post by revathy sw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz has once again given readers a spectacular and commendable addition to the sci-fi genre with the smashing We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire, the fourth installment in his We are Voulhire series. This novel is mostly set in Chalethire, a Voulhirian city, which is mostly known for its powerful army, and which in its magnificence puts the capital Soulhire to shame. A question that is sure to dog readers from the start is whether the formidable Chalethire will stand proud and victorious, or whether it will meet the same fate as its neighbors. It is in this city that Galen, Rowan, and Demetrius have taken up residence. In this book, we find the three friends trying to bring some justice and peace to a world where both are fast becoming scarce commodities.

What makes this series — including this book — so gripping and memorable is that Tysz makes us feel all the emotions — the good ones and the bad — that his characters feel. This is because of how human and relatable his characters are, and how common and understandable the issues and dilemmas that they face are. The touching friendship among Galen, Demetrius, and Rowan, Midius Maido's stark desperation, Meldorath's shockingly human moment of grief — all of these are sure to resonate with readers. What is also appreciable is the detail with which the author has built up his kingdom. He references its literature, gives vivid descriptions of the landscape and architecture, and delineates its political and religious groups and hierarchies.

Another constant source of delight in this series is how the author steadily increases the insights he gives us into his characters. We get more of an understanding of the dynamic of the friendship among our three heroes. Rowan and Demetrius are so similar in some ways and are perfect foils to the humble, good-natured, and self-deprecating Galen. Apart from these, the author also unfailingly makes sure to sprinkle plenty of light-hearted moments and laugh-out-loud banter. The novel also has many quotable lines that are highly perceptive. The action scenes too were vivid and a joy to read.

When it comes to this book’s cons, the only issue I had was with Rowan's thoughts and actions. As I mentioned before, the author continuously introduces us to new facets of his characters. In Rowan's case, we see a side to him, in his interactions with Kayden, which to me, seemed like it came out of the blue.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This is because, even though the book is close to perfect as far as storyline, characterization, writing style, and worldbuilding are concerned, it has quite a lot of editing mistakes.

The novel has a lot of swearing and is more straightforward in its references to sexual acts than the previous novels in the series. There are also several scenes of bloody violence and destruction. With this in mind, I would recommend We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire to lovers of sci-fi and fantasy above the age of eighteen.

We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Just an average book-lover bumbling through life :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the author has managed to design an entire civilization. Few writers have the talent for it.
revathy sw
Currently Reading:

Post by revathy sw »

markodim721 wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 01:12 It is great that the author has managed to design an entire civilization. Few writers have the talent for it.
Yes, I completely agree with you. Tysz's worldbuilding is on another level.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

Seems like a sequel in a fantasy adventure book series.I have not read the first couple of books.so, will skip this for now.Great review!
revathy sw
Currently Reading:

Post by revathy sw »

NISSE wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 22:24 Seems like a sequel in a fantasy adventure book series.I have not read the first couple of books.so, will skip this for now.Great review!
This is an amazing fantasy series, one of the best I've ever read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”