Review by Njokime -- The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Njokime
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njokime.html
Latest Review: Homo Technica by Stephan Collina

Review by Njokime -- The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Njokime »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I would like to believe that family is the most vital part of somebody’s life, not solely blood relations but people who support and love you and confide in. The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier is a memoir about his family history, the title of this book describes the whole book with just a few words. The author has managed to memorialize his family history and describe what it was like growing up in the 1950s on a rice farm and cattle ranch and serving time in Vietnam during the 1960s. The author is the fifth of the twelve children who are in this family history.

What I liked most about this book is the reconciliation of his family stories with his war stories in Vietnam. It is undeniably impressive because the readers can follow the flow without getting confused and enjoy it as well. This book reminds me of how it felt like growing up with my siblings, and it takes me back to the best memories of my growing up. I genuinely found this book very interesting, I live for the stories, and the author has managed to deliver. I know it wouldn’t be appealing to read somebody’s history unless he or she is famous. This book is not just a history book the author has managed to make it engaging. I learned a lot about cows. The author has written in detail about cows. How to feed them, milk them, and generally how to take care of them. By the time I finished reading it, I felt like I was following a soap opera, and I did not want it to end. John E. Peltier, by the end of the book, is old and has so many grandkids. I was able to follow his life history to that end.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. The beginning part of the book where the author writes about his grandparents was a bit bland to me. I thought I had made a mistake reading The Thundering Herd. As I continued reading it, I was glad I gave it a chance.

I highly recommend this book to young adults and adults. I guarantee most of the people who read this book will find it relatable, especially if you have siblings. The book has countable errors that would not hinder the enjoyment of it. This book falls under the category of memoirs.

I award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because I can attest that anyone who reads it will enjoy it. Apart from the few errors, this book is exceptionally well-written.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Memoirs with family drama are my favorite.
Sounds like this book will relive stories about the old times when many families have loooots of children.
As someone who lives on farmland, I'm looking forward to knowing more about cows from this book.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”