Review by aodonnell -- Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Review by aodonnell -- Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by aodonnell »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hope Rises" by Dr. Randy Ross.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It’s not common to approach hope from a tactical standpoint, but that’s exactly the angle Dr. Randy Ross takes in Hope Rises Make Your Life, Love & Leadership Soar.

Drawing on his experiences as a leader and coach, Ross breaks down hope and shows his readers that hope is more than a wishful feeling. True hope requires hard work and a practical approach, defining a goal and creating a plan to accomplish it. One key aspect of hope is being able to adjust the goal along the way, letting go of impossible things and redirecting energy toward what is achievable. Whether this is changing the approach to the goal or changing the goal altogether, without this crucial skill hope can burn out. Ross breaks his book up into three parts, starting first with perspective and defining exactly what he’s talking about when he mentions hope. The second part focuses on prophecy and the future—how to take hope and put it into successful action. The final part focuses on prognosis and possibilities. It’s the practical application on the “how” of the second part. The three parts work together to give readers a comprehensive understanding of how and why hope is indispensable as a tool for truly living.

I really liked the way Ross approached the idea of hope in the early chapters of Hope Rises. I’ve often personally struggled with the concept, confusing it with wishing. But Ross clearly demonstrates how hope is different—where wishing is passive, hope is active and charges into a situation with a plan and a goal in mind. Ross’s book helped to dispel some myths surrounding hope and make more things seem possible. I didn’t find much to dislike about the book. At times it was a little repetitive and lost my attention but I was able to bring myself back.

I rate this book three out of four stars. The author had a lot of good insight and information that can be helpful for people in many different situations. It’s practical and applicable and prepares the reader for immediate action. I didn’t rate the book higher because it did not seem professionally edited. Though I could have overlooked the many comma issues, professional editing should absolutely have caught where Ross referenced Hidden Numbers when he meant the book and film Hidden Figures.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for some help understanding and acting on hope. It is particularly relevant for leaders and recent graduates. The author only mentions religion and faith a few times in the latter chapters, so while hope can sometimes be associated with faith, Ross’s book takes an approach that is applicable for anyone regardless of their faith or religious affiliations.

Hope Rises
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for such an insightful review. You are honest and very thorough. Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”