Review by Jagiine -- Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Review by Jagiine -- Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shadow's Adventure Home" by Kathy Kovar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Shadow's Adventure Home, Shadow is a fluffy tuxedo cat that I'm sure most people would feel some inclination to coo at if they saw his picture. He has a loving family and a warm home, but he makes a mistake that stops him from enjoying those luxuries. The feline protagonist accidentally runs away from home and winds up lost. Unable to find his bearings, Shadow spends the next several months wandering around and trying to find his house. Back home, Shadow's humans never give up on him, but finding a single cat in the country is like finding a needle in a haystack. Do Shadow and his family stand any chance of reuniting, or will he be left alone forever? Could there be another option?

As I read the tale, I found Shadow's behavior to be extremely realistic. Kathy Kovar’s narration constantly made me think of my own cat. I also enjoyed the way the son in the family spoke to Shadow. He was gentle and compassionate, even taking time to comfort his buddy with kind words when the family moved. In general, the characters just made me feel good.

On the other hand, I wish the editor had done a better job. The story was quite enjoyable and easy to follow, but little mistakes started appearing about halfway through the book. Starting at location 18, the entire editing style changed, almost as though the editor only made it so far. Most of the discrepancies probably would not be noticed by many readers, but there was a missing word in one sentence and an extra word in another.

On a more positive note, I was delighted by the artistry throughout Shadow's Adventure Home. Mardel Rubio’s drawings conveyed a sense of peace and beauty that reminded me of the coloring pages one may see in a spa's relaxation room. One picture did not fully match the details in the text, but the next picture got everything back on track. There was also a very coo-worthy photograph of the real Shadow along with the dedication.

All in all, I found Shadow's Adventure Home quite enjoyable. Between the adventure and the art, there was a lot to hold my attention. It also warmed my heart to imagine the love the family must have for Shadow in real life since Kovar wrote a whole book about their separation. Nonetheless, seeing a children’s book with such inconsistent editing makes me cringe, so I have rated the work 3 out of 4 stars.

I believe people, especially cat-lovers, of any age can enjoy this story, though it may be a bit long to finish in a single sitting with some young toddlers. Also, any person with a soft spot for lost pets journeying home will probably like Shadow’s tale.

Shadow's Adventure Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 814
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

This book sounds like a good book to read to young children which can help them develop empathy towards animals. The beautiful pictures will make the reading experience more enjoyable.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”