Review by MBerretta -- Emergence by Shira Shiloah

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by MBerretta -- Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by MBerretta »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Emergence" by Shira Shiloah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Roxanne Roth loves three things, her dog, her hometown, and her job. In the backdrop of easy-going, charmingly southern Memphis, Tennessee, we follow Dr. Roth—an anesthesiologist— as she assists on a variety of interesting yet harrowing medical cases. The level of cool Roxanne can maintain under such serious pressure is astonishing. Especially when she gets assigned to assist on her former medical school classmate, Dr. Webb’s, neurological cases. The problem is Dr. Webb is a complete and total psychopath who has a raging drug addiction and seems to take pleasure in causing pain. Not only do we get to see into the mind of the compassionate and intelligent Dr. Roth as she continues to heal from the tragic loss of her fiancé and begin a new relationship, but we are also privy to the nearly unpalatable point of view of Dr. Webb as he ingests copious drugs, begins a pill farming clinic, and murders his patients.

Emergence, by Shira Shiloah, M.D., is an enticing, medically accurate drama filled with articulately complex medical cases. As a lover of medical topics, I was elated to find this book filled with behind-the-scenes medical jargon. As the reader, I genuinely appreciated how we got such intricate details like the method and routine Roxanne goes through to prepare for anesthesia and what drugs she uses to place patients under a deep sleep. I loved being able to possess a point of view for several different characters in the story especially the unfortunate victims of Dr. Webb’s. I was able to grieve for them on a unique level.

This story is very explicit. There is quite a bit of sexual content and drug use. I would not recommend this book if you’re sensitive to violence. There wasn’t a lot of profanity, such as swear words, used but there were nudity and sexual acts performed. I was uncomfortable reading about Dr. Webb’s drug use and the violence he expelled on others. There is animal abuse as well. These are all crucial elements to the story, so it was necessary to read, however, I would say to read with caution.

I’m issuing this book a four out of four stars. It was nearly flawlessly polished. The characters are admirable. The story is captivating and credible. I loved all the medical aspects of the cases Roxanne, and her colleagues are involved in. This book would be excellent for book readers of all genres. If you like medicine, thrillers, crime, and romance you will most likely appreciate this book.

Emergence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the way the author weaves tension into every page of the book. Thanks for the good review.
MBerretta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mberretta.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MBerretta »

markodim721 wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 12:49 I like the way the author weaves tension into every page of the book. Thanks for the good review.
Thank you! I really liked this book! I hope the author writes more of them. I'm a sucker for medical fiction
"I want to learn everything I can, and I write down everything I see. Golly says if I want to be a writer someday, I better start now, and that is why I am a spy."

-Harriet M. Welsch (Harriet the Spy, 1996)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”