Review by Mtibza eM -- Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Review by Mtibza eM -- Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Mtibza eM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hope Rises" by Dr. Randy Ross.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One thing about life is that it is hard and complex. Sometimes when we can’t navigate out of our problems, we end up thinking maybe we don’t deserve to succeed, so we give up. Most of the time, when we give up, it is because problems have overwhelmed us. So, in this book, Dr. Randy Ross tries to remind us about the importance of having hope during dark times. Hope Rises is urgent. Its message is for everyone’s ears.

The introduction of the book features the speech of the global icon, Martin Luther King Jr., ‘I Have A Dream.’ The author concludes the introduction by saying these words, “Hope keeps the spirit aloft when facing the strong headwinds of adversity. Hope is transformative. And best of all, hope is available. Embrace hope, and your life will be set on an elevated trajectory”. The first chapter is titled “The Great Pause.” Here, the author reminds us about the effect the global pandemic, Covid-19, had on all our lives. He reminds us how we had to rapidly shift from what we knew and adapt to the new norm of doing things. He shows how the strict regulations had affected people of all ages. Chapter 2 and chapter 3 encourage us to have hope. They, in detail, explain what is hope, what is its functions, and why we all should have it.

Chapter 4 is titled “The Bigger Picture.” Here, the author shows how we may plan great things and end up deterring from them because of what life tends to throw in our way. He encourages us to always see greatness in small things. The rest of the book talks, in detail, about hope, optimism, goal setting, and what he calls “nexting.”

I enjoyed reading this book. I believe its message is important. Indeed life can have us caught up in so many unnecessary things that we forget the goals we set for ourselves. Sometimes it is not all that. Sometimes our problems overwhelm us, that we tend to succumb to them. So if only we had hope, we might have made it out of them. But because we didn’t have hope, we were never able to reach our goals. So this book shows just how important it is for a person to have hope so they can succeed, not only in their personal lives but in their professional lives also.

I loved how he used real-life companies that were once successful as examples. He said that companies that failed to re-goal, and stuck on doing things the only way they knew how, ended up closing due to bankruptcy. He mentioned Blockbuster, for example.

The book was well written. The author was not repetitive. He also didn’t come across as preachy. He didn’t use complex medical or psychological terms to communicate important aspects. He made sure that whatever he said was clear and concise. The book was flowing. I was moving from one sentence to another, from one paragraph to another, and one chapter to another without any glitches. I was just flipping because I couldn’t get enough.

The book was well organised, also. It was divided into four parts. Each had its theme, so one could always tell what they will read about. It also had many subchapters, and I appreciated that because they brought everything into perspective. They also made sure that every aspect was covered. The book also had many rich quotes. Like this one, for example — which is my favourite — from page 57, “you cannot experience the pleasure of victory without the pain of preparation.” I interpret it to tell us that whatever we are going through, we should remember that it is a preparation for what is great that is yet to come.

There’s nothing I disliked about this book that is worth to be discussed. The book is 216-paged, which made it a quick read for me.

The book seemed to be professionally edited because I only came across one error, which didn’t affect the quality of the book. The book doesn’t contain any foul or vulgar language, making it suitable to be read by people of all ages. Because of this, and all that I have talked about, I am happy to rate Hope Rises by Dr. Randy Ross 4 out of 4 stars. People who love self motivational books should get it. I also recommend it to people who are going through tough times and who seem to be losing hope in their lives. Maybe this book could save their lives if they give it a chance.

Hope Rises
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the optimistic approach that the book nurtures as well as the important life lessons that the book brings. Thanks for the good review.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Hope is essential to keep unnecessary suffering at bay. A pessimistic mindset (or hopelessness) only leads to despair and distress.
And I agree how important it is to set goals and reinvent oneself.
Thanks for this amazing review :tiphat:
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

That's a good way to give hope and teach it's importance. That quote is really like no pain no gain but more effective. Thank you for an insightful review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I like the relevance of the title to the whole content of the book.
I may read this book someday.
Sounds like the kind of book I need these days.
Thank you for your review!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

This book is totally relatable to every human. You give up, you loose out. I hope to read and practice all this book promises. Thank you for a thorough job
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

Hope is necessary in our live because it is what keep us striving. Seems like a book that will inspire readers a lot. Thanks for the informative review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Hope is the greatest treasure because when you have it, you live. You can be engulfed by darkness and despondent but when you have hope, you can navigate your way out. Thanks for this review, it is a great reminder that Hope Rises!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

Wow good review, hope is very very important in one's life goals, because obstacles will come but it's our hope that keeps our dream going. Great book
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Miriam nkere wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 04:58 Wow good review, hope is very very important in one's life goals, because obstacles will come but it's our hope that keeps our dream going. Great book
True that. Thank you for commenting.
Nqobile771 wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 01:16 Hope is the greatest treasure because when you have it, you live. You can be engulfed by darkness and despondent but when you have hope, you can navigate your way out. Thanks for this review, it is a great reminder that Hope Rises!
Yes, Manqobz. Thanks for always reading my reviews and commenting. I really appreciate it.
Mercy Osmond wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 16:29 Hope is necessary in our live because it is what keep us striving. Seems like a book that will inspire readers a lot. Thanks for the informative review.
It is very inspirational indeed. Thank you very much.
Chizioboli wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 10:35 This book is totally relatable to every human. You give up, you loose out. I hope to read and practice all this book promises. Thank you for a thorough job
Please do, you won't regret your decision to pick it. Thank you for stopping by.
Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 03:36 I like the relevance of the title to the whole content of the book.
I may read this book someday.
Sounds like the kind of book I need these days.
Thank you for your review!
Don't forget to tell us what you think about it after reading it. Thank you very much for reading my review and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Kavita Shah wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 01:35 That's a good way to give hope and teach it's importance. That quote is really like no pain no gain but more effective. Thank you for an insightful review!
Thank you very much, Kavita.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”