Review by Nathaniel Owolabi -- We are Voulhire: Someone ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review by Nathaniel Owolabi -- We are Voulhire: Someone ...

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End, Matthew Tysz tells us a story of a world where the human race is not the apex race. However, this story is told from the perspective and experiences of several individuals.

The Emperor of Lullabies is a feared authority; everyone lives in terror of the impending doom he might inflict, but his existence is still somewhat of a debate, and so are his intentions.

Wilhelm is the king of the most prosperous kingdom on the continent. He listens to his people and is compassionate. However, a case is brought to his court and he has to make a ruling. Although this case may seem inconsequential, it could change everything.

The immigrant Galen, an heir to Galen Onita. He is pure-hearted and innocent despite his childhood and having lived in the Land of the Princes. He and his friends are on a mission to help the city of Virko.

The Riva Rohavi or the feathered dancers -as I like to call them- also play an important role in the story. However, they were only after one thing: the destruction of Voulhire.

Then there is Meldorath, or shall I say Eiodi Indarmo II. He is perhaps the most powerful man in the kingdom. He has a plan, and he does not shy away from killing other humans on his way to his goals.

This book brings these characters together in interesting ways, even as they all navigate life and try to achieve their plans despite the changes that might soon come over the Cosmos.

Matthew Tysz's storytelling ability is impressive. The way he tells the story from the perspective of several characters influences the way the readers take in the information. You get to see the way each character reason, their rationale for making certain decisions, and their true intentions. His plots are quite creative. The reference guide at the end of the book also helps the readers understand some terms used in the book. The map at the beginning of the book is also a nice touch, it gives the book the right aura.

Despite Matthew’s efforts on We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End, I was not won over by the book. From my experience, the book was rather easy to put down. Although writing from several characters’ perspectives is an interesting idea that was implemented in the book, it also comes with its drawbacks. It almost felt like another story entirely whenever Matthew switches from one character’s perspective to another. One of the main reasons for this is because these characters' lives are not brought together until later in the book. The book is a sequel to another book by Matthew Tysz and the way the book ended suggests it would have a sequel of its own. I mention this fact because I do not feel Matthew did his best to make this book seem like an independent book. Reading the book felt like watching a single episode in a TV series. It felt like one had to read the entire series to fully enjoy and get the whole idea the book was trying to convey. While this might be a good idea to make the author profit more, it was to the detriment of the readers and I did not like that.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End is an interesting book, the story seems promising; however, It just was not good enough. While the story is promising, it was poorly written. I therefore can only rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to fiction lovers, especially those who do not mind reading books that have sequels.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I read the first book of this series, and I say, the author writing style was fascinating. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”