Review by RayRuff -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Review by RayRuff -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Rayah Raouf »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker is a science fiction book with elements of mystery and a bit of adventure. The book itself is separated into three parts. However, the main journey does not start until the second part.

The book is about Grant and his journey to Zona. The first part focuses on Dr. Grant Taylor in Russia. His uncle, Randall, traveled there the previous year but never came back. His uncle has been declared dead because he has been missing for over a year. One person survived the ordeal and declared that most people were killed. It was most likely that nobody survived. Grant Taylor finds it odd and starts questioning the people around him. Everybody around him acts suspiciously, and he doesn’t know who to believe.

A new journey to Zona needs to be planned because of the previous investors. The second part of the book then proceeds into the new expedition and journey to Zona. This is the part where they face different types of danger. The group faces issues on the road with wild animals, each other, and the air itself. It seems that not everybody will make it through the journey.

I believe the author did an incredible job when it came to facts. The author managed to convince me the unreal elements were real with the facts and knowledge the characters displayed. I also really enjoyed the progress of the journey. It gave me time to get to know the characters. I thought the way the characters acted around the camp and moved around the camp was fascinating. The land of Zona itself also amazed me, and I could clearly picture it in my head.

There were a couple of issues I had with the book. First, I did not fully understand the changes that occurred to the characters. I understood the idea the author was trying to address, but I felt it needed a bit more justification. Second, I did not understand the communication with the wolves. I found it odd, and the explanation wasn't enough.

Even though it was an enjoyable book, I wasn’t completely satisfied. Therefore, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I found the last part of the book to be quite weird. On the other hand, the book is exceptionally edited as I noticed no errors at all.

I would recommend Zona: The Forbidden Land to people who like books that focus on the journey. I believe this would be perfect for young adults who are getting into fictional books. However, it’s important to note there is mild sexual activity and profanity present.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

Sounds like a fantasy book. My kind of book. The communication with Wolves though, I don't know.
Might give it a try.

Thanks for a detailed, interesting review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

I think I will give this book a try. I like it. Great review!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm tempted to grab this book for a review later.
I'm very curious about the weird parts, and I hope they'll make sense to me.
Thanks for your detailed review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I like your summary of the book. It makes me want to read the book. I just put it on my bookshelves. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Elements of mystery and adventure? Sounds interesting enough. Still, I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel when it was the Book of the Month and I understand why you enjoyed it but you weren't completely satisfied. I think the author wasn't completely successful in developing his novel, which is a good adventure but you have to turn a blind eye to its flaws. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like an interesting weird book, but I think I’ll pass. Thank you for your excellent review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

zainherb wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 02:37 Sounds like a fantasy book. My kind of book. The communication with Wolves though, I don't know.
Might give it a try.

Thanks for a detailed, interesting review.
A little weird, but does the job I guess :).
TheMazeRunner wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 09:06 I think I will give this book a try. I like it. Great review!
Ohh, thank you! Will look forward to your opinion then.
Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 20:26 I'm tempted to grab this book for a review later.
I'm very curious about the weird parts, and I hope they'll make sense to me.
Thanks for your detailed review.
Thank you! Yea, I'm pretty sure people will view the book differently. I'll look forward to your pinion then :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

63tty wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 01:49 I like your summary of the book. It makes me want to read the book. I just put it on my bookshelves. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Aww, thank you! Looking forward to your review :D
kandscreeley wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 16:47 Elements of mystery and adventure? Sounds interesting enough. Still, I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks for your review.
Thank you! Yea, I don't think it's a book for everyone...
NetMassimo wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 17:22 I read this novel when it was the Book of the Month and I understand why you enjoyed it but you weren't completely satisfied. I think the author wasn't completely successful in developing his novel, which is a good adventure but you have to turn a blind eye to its flaws. Thank you for your great review!
Yes, I do agree with what you say. I just couldn't bring myself to give it 4 stars when I wasn't that happy with it. It was still a good read, and I would gladly recommend it to others who want something a bit different. Thank you :)
MsH2k wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 23:55 This sounds like an interesting weird book, but I think I’ll pass. Thank you for your excellent review.
Not to worry! Thank you for stopping by :)
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

This book is on my list for some time. I know exactly what you mean, when a book is good, but it does not leave you completely satisfied. Now I am even more curious to discover it! Thank you so much for your interesting review!
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It seems like a book with too many characters involved, who are not also fully developed. This seems like a major drawback and I understand your rating. Thanks for the insight!
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I'm curious about the part where the writer made you feel as if the unreal elements were real. Seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for a well-written review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 05:36 This book is on my list for some time. I know exactly what you mean, when a book is good, but it does not leave you completely satisfied. Now I am even more curious to discover it! Thank you so much for your interesting review!
Ohh! I cant wait to see your opinion on it. Thank you.
Dimi1 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 14:12 It seems like a book with too many characters involved, who are not also fully developed. This seems like a major drawback and I understand your rating. Thanks for the insight!
Yea, it is sort of like that. Thank you.
Kike17 wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 16:29 I'm curious about the part where the writer made you feel as if the unreal elements were real. Seems to be an interesting read. Thanks for a well-written review.
It is interesting! I wasn't sure how I'd be able to describe the weird parts because maybe to other people it isn't so weird. Thank you. Maybe you could check the book out and I'll check your thoughts on it. :)
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

It takes great skill to make the unreal real, I therefore respect this author more and definitely want to read the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”