Review by Jagiine -- Elizabeth's Garden

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Review by Jagiine -- Elizabeth's Garden

Post by Jagiine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Elizabeth's Garden" by Phillip Leighton-Daly.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Philip Leighton-Daly’s Elizabeth’s Garden starts as an ordinary narrative, with an old man leading a woman on a hike through harsh terrain. As the man grows emotional, it becomes clear that he took the woman there to tell her a very personal story: the fellow had lost someone important to him when he lived in the area as a missionary’s kid. Hence, the majority of the tale unfolds in the man’s voice as he recounts what it was like to live amidst the strife in the brush. Readers quickly learn that—between the compassion and drama, the suspense and action, suspicious characters and a twist ending—life on the river was never boring.

Though it may often be categorized as a children’s book, Elizabeth’s Garden wields a very strong vocabulary. For example, one sentence reads, “My dad deplored the lawlessness endemic along the river.” I imagine this must mean the old man is some sort of articulate scholar, a theory supported by his dialogue (when he's not speaking his own words, he's quoting others’). Really, this makes the dialogue rather stiff. It's as though each character has a quill and inkwell in their mouth rather than a tongue. Similarly, a lot of the descriptions, even outside of discourse, seem contrived, as though the writer tried too hard to be poetic and descriptive rather than just telling the story.

Despite finding the writing a bit dry, I thought the story had several interesting points. It never felt like the author was simply throwing in action for the sake of excitement or a question for the sake of confusion, but Leighton-Daly managed to evoke a variety of my emotions. Regrettably, I was often distracted from these emotions for one reason or another. Several times, I became confused about the timeline and needed to retrace my steps in order to determine whether the man was describing a singular event or something which had been ongoing. Other times, I was distracted by errors with punctuation, pronouns, syntax, and so forth. In general, Leighton-Daly could have benefited from utilizing the services of a professional editor before publishing this book.

In the end, I found more than ten editing errors, so I cannot give the book a perfect score. Additionally, I found it a bit convoluted due to the flowery descriptions and lack of time-oriented adverbs. However, the overall plot was interesting, and I can imagine others enjoying the story more than myself. Thus, I rate Elizabeth’s Garden 2 out of 4 stars.

I believe that good readers (or listeners) who appreciate historical fiction and short stories could enjoy a lunch break with this yarn. I think it is only considered a children’s book because of its length and its main characters’ ages; in actuality, the vocabulary and syntax lead me away from recommending the tale for young kids. Nonetheless, a child with a strong vocabulary or a mastery of lexical resources and no concern for pictures, as there are none, may like the book. Parents should be warned that substance abuse, violence, a potential reference to sexual violence, and murder are in the narrative.

Elizabeth's Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Historical fictions are not my cup of tea, so I'll skip this one. Great review!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 08:43 Historical fictions are not my cup of tea, so I'll skip this one. Great review!
I definitely get that. This one toes the line of historical fiction, but it still probably wouldn't appeal to you. Thank you for commenting!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I'm a huge fan of children's books, so I'll see if this book will not distract me with its editing errors.
I'm intrigued with the story.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I like your summary of the book. It makes me want to read the book. I just put it on my bookshelves. Thanks for the wonderful review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 21:07 I'm a huge fan of children's books, so I'll see if this book will not distract me with its editing errors.
I'm intrigued with the story.
Thank you for your review.
I wouldn't really call this a children's book, but it does have an interesting story. I hope you enjoy it! Thank you for stopping by :tiphat:
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

63tty wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 01:24 I like your summary of the book. It makes me want to read the book. I just put it on my bookshelves. Thanks for the wonderful review.
That's great! I hope you find a chance to read it and find it enjoyable.

Also, I like your signature.

Thanks for coming by!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

While I don't think this is my kind of story, I do thank you for the thorough review; I especially like your line about a quill and inkwell [metaphorically] being in the character's mouth!
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

MsTri wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 13:10 While I don't think this is my kind of story, I do thank you for the thorough review; I especially like your line about a quill and inkwell [metaphorically] being in the character's mouth!
Thank you very much; I was also proud of that line! Thanks for commenting :tiphat:
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don't think this is a book for me, but it's good that you pointed out the most important things in it. Thanks for the honest and unbiased review.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

The quill and inkwell in the author's mouth reference, I feel, drives home what the language in the book is like. Hopefully, the book is revised. Thank you for this review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I've read another book by this author and I thought it was pretty okay. It's a shame about the errors in this book but hopefully, that can be fixed. Thank you for the review :)
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The book sounds confusing with all the mentioned above issues, but your review is outstanding as always :) Thank you!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

A life spent in the brush along the banks of a river would certainly set the stage for some potentially memorable moments of unforgettable scenarios, but I greatly appreciate the contributing attributes of concern you’ve pointed out here. Thank you for providing an honest and informative review! 🛶
Jagiine

Post by Jagiine »

markodim721 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 23:39 I don't think this is a book for me, but it's good that you pointed out the most important things in it. Thanks for the honest and unbiased review.
It's definitely for very particular tastes. I appreciate you stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”