Review by Kiran Kanwar -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiran-kanwar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Kiran Kanwar -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset is a non-fiction memoir type book written by Ace Bowers. The book deals with the story of Ace from his childhood up until now. He very beautifully shows his journey from being a janitor to now being a silicon valley millionaire. He talks about how his parents fight, their financial instability and the absence of his brother from half of his life left scars on him. He also speaks in detail on how he dealt with all the depression and anxiety and how he moved from having a victim's mindset to changing it into an overcomer's mindset. Along his journey, he had several people who appeared as an angel in his life. He describes how their arrival or presence in his life helped him find the motivation/reason to improve his condition. It is a full package showing a 360-degree development of a person, from being vulnerable to where he is now.

The story was a short read with less than 100 pages. The pace of the story was also very flowy. It can be easily completed in 2-3 hours. One thing which I noticed is that the author took 2-3 years to write this 100-page book. This speaks volume on how difficult it would have been for him to relive all his painful memories. But as he mentions in the last chapter of the book, he is glad that he wrote this book. It was the most therapeutic thing he has done for himself. This book shows the importance of having constant support, communication and balance in life. You will be able to see a sharp contrast in the way his parents lived and the way Ace and his wife lived. They balanced their life really well.

Ace was a product of his past which taught him many things, some painful and some useful.

When his parents used to fight, he developed an understanding of reading the room. He could easily predict what was about to happen. This ability of his helped him a lot in his career. He had could easily gauge the situation and could act/communicate accordingly. Most of the highly educated engineers of Silicon Valley lacked this.

The painful things that he experienced in life taught him how the parent can affect a child and he made sure that his children don't go through the same thing that he experienced. He was broke when he met his now-wife. She got pregnant at a time when they were not ready yet. But the reality that he is going to be a father now motivates Ace to work hard and create the best possible life for his child. I think that was an important point in his life, he changes completely after that.

The book gives equal importance to everybody in Ace's family and you get to know how each of them had an effect on him and how they contributed to shaping his life. He even talks about two of his best friends in the book, one of whose's story will break your heart.

There were a few things that I didn't like in the book. First was that in the last chapters he tried to justify the action of his parents. He argues that they had their own issues and that is why they acted that way. Maybe it was written like that because the author was finally getting closure to all those painful memories. The second thing was that there was a point in the book when it was stated that although his parents’ relationship was toxic they decided to continue to live together. I didn't quite agree with staying in a toxic relationship. Staying together in such a relationship hurts the child more than it helps. But it was up to them and I wouldn't like to comment on it more. I would just say that I didn't like this message in the book. Taking all these points into account, I would give the book a 3 out of 4 stars.

If you like reading true stories of how people change their lives from nothing to something beautiful, you would enjoy reading the book. The author loved baseball and used several analogies from the game too. So baseball lovers can read this book and share their love for baseball through the author’s memoir. In fact, I think this book is not just for a specific audience. Anybody can enjoy reading it. It gives the message of how an overcomer's mindset can help change your life for the good. It is not just another book that tells you how to get rich. It is the one that makes you understand the importance of your mindset, willpower and hard work.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This isn't the type of book I like to read. Great review, though!
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 01:04 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset is a non-fiction memoir type book written by Ace Bowers. The book deals with the story of Ace from his childhood up until now. He very beautifully shows his journey from being a janitor to now being a silicon valley millionaire. He talks about how his parents fight, their financial instability and the absence of his brother from half of his life left scars on him. He also speaks in detail on how he dealt with all the depression and anxiety and how he moved from having a victim's mindset to changing it into an overcomer's mindset. Along his journey, he had several people who appeared as an angel in his life. He describes how their arrival or presence in his life helped him find the motivation/reason to improve his condition. It is a full package showing a 360-degree development of a person, from being vulnerable to where he is now.

The story was a short read with less than 100 pages. The pace of the story was also very flowy. It can be easily completed in 2-3 hours. One thing which I noticed is that the author took 2-3 years to write this 100-page book. This speaks volume on how difficult it would have been for him to relive all his painful memories. But as he mentions in the last chapter of the book, he is glad that he wrote this book. It was the most therapeutic thing he has done for himself. This book shows the importance of having constant support, communication and balance in life. You will be able to see a sharp contrast in the way his parents lived and the way Ace and his wife lived. They balanced their life really well.

Ace was a product of his past which taught him many things, some painful and some useful.

When his parents used to fight, he developed an understanding of reading the room. He could easily predict what was about to happen. This ability of his helped him a lot in his career. He had could easily gauge the situation and could act/communicate accordingly. Most of the highly educated engineers of Silicon Valley lacked this.

The painful things that he experienced in life taught him how the parent can affect a child and he made sure that his children don't go through the same thing that he experienced. He was broke when he met his now-wife. She got pregnant at a time when they were not ready yet. But the reality that he is going to be a father now motivates Ace to work hard and create the best possible life for his child. I think that was an important point in his life, he changes completely after that.

The book gives equal importance to everybody in Ace's family and you get to know how each of them had an effect on him and how they contributed to shaping his life. He even talks about two of his best friends in the book, one of whose's story will break your heart.

There were a few things that I didn't like in the book. First was that in the last chapters he tried to justify the action of his parents. He argues that they had their own issues and that is why they acted that way. Maybe it was written like that because the author was finally getting closure to all those painful memories. The second thing was that there was a point in the book when it was stated that although his parents’ relationship was toxic they decided to continue to live together. I didn't quite agree with staying in a toxic relationship. Staying together in such a relationship hurts the child more than it helps. But it was up to them and I wouldn't like to comment on it more. I would just say that I didn't like this message in the book. Taking all these points into account, I would give the book a 3 out of 4 stars.

If you like reading true stories of how people change their lives from nothing to something beautiful, you would enjoy reading the book. The author loved baseball and used several analogies from the game too. So baseball lovers can read this book and share their love for baseball through the author’s memoir. In fact, I think this book is not just for a specific audience. Anybody can enjoy reading it. It gives the message of how an overcomer's mindset can help change your life for the good. It is not just another book that tells you how to get rich. It is the one that makes you understand the importance of your mindset, willpower and hard work.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Detailed review. I am a fan of memoir-type books. I could add this to my bookshelf as well. Thanks for the review.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 11:02 This isn't the type of book I like to read. Great review, though!
Thanks for your comment.
Kiran Kanwar
Currently Reading:

Post by Kiran Kanwar »

ROSEYANN wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 16:03
Kiran Kanwar wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 01:04 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset
on Amazon

Detailed review. I am a fan of memoir-type books. I could add this to my bookshelf as well. Thanks for the review.
I hope you enjoy reading this one. Thank you for commenting.
cd20
Favorite Book: Hope Between the Pages
Currently Reading: Growing Slow: Lessons on Un-Hurrying Your Heart from an Accidental Farm Girl
Bookshelf Size: 823
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cd20.html
Latest Review: Now Unto Him by Melissa Huggins
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cd20 »

I also gave this book 3 stars (although my review isn't published). I did not like the repetition in the book, it was too short for it. I also didn't like the repetition, I felt the book was too short for it. I also didn't like Ace's attitude toward college. Just because his parents did not have the money to pay for it, didn't mean that he could not figure something out. It was an interesting book, despite the negatives.
Real life is dreadfully tedious, the way it interrupts reading. -Things We Didn't Say by Amy Lynn Green
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Kiran Kanwar wrote: 06 Jun 2021, 01:04 It is not just another book that tells you how to get rich. It is the one that makes you understand the importance of your mindset, willpower and hard work.
It's similar to the book I just read recently on how to be successful.
Successful people are determined to reach their goals.
I like that this book is just short enough to engross the readers, especially with its fast-paced storytelling in the sample.
Thank you for the review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

Great review! I agree with your observations towards some messages at the end of the book, But still, I think the author did a great job, and it surely took a lot of bravery and effort to come to terms with his past in such a way.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Quite the detailed review. I read this book in the past, and I agree with much of the points you said. Great Job!
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”