Review by Kavita Shah -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Re: Review by Kavita Shah -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a...

Post by Kavita Shah »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 13:59 I read this one too, and I’m now convinced I need to go on a vacation to Sri Lanka!! Maybe I’ll encounter some stolen antiques and detective kitties during my journey. 🐱
😸Maybe.
It's a beautiful place. You'll surely enjoy the beaches and the heritage sites. Than you for your sweet comments!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Nqobile771 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 01:50 I have read this book and share your sentiments a hundred percent! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review.
That's great. Thank you for your comments!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

Prisallen wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 07:51 This sounds like a great children's book that will, hopefully, teach children to love and not fear animals while learning about a different country in the process. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Yes, It's a fun story with great illustrations and good lessons for children. Than you for your comments!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 12:11 This book appears very much entertaining with animals as characters. Thanks for your insightful review.
Yes, entertaining and lively . Thank you for your comments!
Kavita Shah
Currently Reading:

Post by Kavita Shah »

RAVISHA BHARDWAJ wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 01:21 Wow! This seems really interesting and cute. Looking forward to reading it.
That's great. I hope you like the story too. Thank you for your comments!
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

A cat who takes up the role of a detective, lol. Quite intriguing review. Great read.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Wow! It seems like a cute book. The fact that it is a story based on a cat detective makes it so much more interesting. Thanks for the great review.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Ah, another Inca tale. I love that the author slips in education and good advice among such a fun, silly story! Thanks for your review.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Kavita Shah wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 13:06 [Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat , written by R.F. Kristi, is a children’s book. It is the seventh installment of the Inca Book Series. Inca and Company (name of their detective agency in London run by Inca and her friends), with their human mom, are on a vacation on an island of Shri Lanka. They enjoy their time on the beach and meet new friends. A local newspaper reports about a stolen antique sword, and our snoopy cat, Inca, is ready for yet another case. Will Inca and Company find the stolen antique sword? Will they catch the thieves? There’s only one way to find out.

The writer loves animals, and it is visible in the way she incorporated the wildlife of Shri Lanka in the story. I got to learn that Shri Lanka has 8 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, which are incredible. One of the heritage sites is Anuradhapura, and it is also the ancient capital of Shri Lanka. There is a scene where Inca meets a python, and if you’ve read the Jungle Book, you’ll know that they aren’t the friendliest of creatures. I felt that the author could have changed this notion and told it otherwise.

The illustrations, by Jorge Valle, were beautiful. They were pleasant, colorful, and usually of a specific animal. The calm atmosphere at the beach with friends was clear through these illustrations. I liked when the author portrayed the cats on the beach and the way Fromage ate his ice-cream was hilarious. The book has a rich vocabulary that can be a little difficult for younger children to read.

It’s written in a diary format. At one point, Inca said that she should write her diary entry, so that she can tell her friends about the little adventure before she forgets about it. It highlights the importance of keeping a diary, which I really liked about the book.

Tim Aucoin has exceptionally edited this book as I encountered no errors. For the reasons stated earlier, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars . I liked everything in the story, except the part with the python. I recommend it to children between the ages of 6 to 12. Also, those who love animals and mystery books can pick this up. Guardians can read it to their children as it is fit for a read-aloud. Although it’s a part of a series, you can read it as a standalone.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Thanks for reviewing. I like when a book has elements of comedy. I could add this one to my bookshelf. Thanks.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I love the book's cover page. Your review makes the book even more attractive. Good work!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I've read this and another instalment in the series and Inca is always up to some interesting activities. Thank you for a lovely review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is great that the book teaches children important life lessons, in the way that is most interesting to them.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I read other book of this series and loved the animal characters very much :) This one sounds good as well! Thank you for a great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the Inca series! The author educates young readers morally and geographically. I agree that writing a diary is an important concept to instill in children at a young age. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I read that pythons can be kept as pets. But I would never dare. 🐍 I'm happy to see them from afar and inside their glass enclosures. Yes, Ma'am!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”