Review by feyre_westfall -- The Site by Carlos Valrand

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
feyre_westfall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feyre-westfall.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Reginhart by Penn Scripter

Review by feyre_westfall -- The Site by Carlos Valrand

Post by feyre_westfall »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Site" by Carlos Valrand.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Site by Carlos Valrand tells the story of Cicely Denfeld who is dreaming and having conscious insight about two agents, Charles and Vivian, who are trapped on the underground with some out of the world beings. The story turns between Cicely's dreams and her real life talking to her therapist about them.

Imagine going to sleep one day, dreaming your normal dreams, and on the next day, having the weirdest dreams. People killing others, agents, top-secrets documents, and some unnormal beings. This is what started happening with a London schoolteacher Cicely Denfeld. She started having vivid dreams about being other people, Vivian and Charles. They are agents for the American government looking for a missed document, but they end up on the underground full of weird beings and machines.

The best thing about this book is that makes you beg for one more page. It is almost impossible to stop reading, the reader is always seeking the answer about what is going on, how everything happened, and why Cicely is dreaming about Charles and Vivian. And also, the characters are great, very well build, they have all the characteristics of a good characters, a back story, they have flaws and qualities.

In my point of view, there were only three negatives aspects of this book. The first is that the story line is too linear, you get too many questions, but almost any clues about what is happening, it is impossible to form a theory about what is going on. Second, for the time the answer came, I was expecting, something that would make me feel more thrilled, it was unexpected, but I think it should be more developed. Third, the romance was useless, the story would be better of without it. The love story does not show up much, but when does, it does not bring anything to the book or Cicely.

My rate to The Site is 3 out of 4 stars. The book was professionally written and edited; the characters were particularly good; their stories were particularly good mixed together. But I cannot give de fourth stars, because of how it ended. I have the feeling it could be so much better.

If you love sci-fi and Agatha Christie, this book may be perfect for you, all the puzzles and aliens make the ideal book for you. Or if you only like sci-fi, it is also a great book, you only must be patient.

The Site
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeanabel Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanabel-ramos.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Jeanabel Ramos »

I became curious when you have mentioned the name of the author Agatha Cristie because I am a big fan. If this book for you will be worth my time, I will give it a shot. I love both mystery and sci-fi so I think it will be a very interesting literature to read. Thank you!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

Her dreams sound like a special adaptation series that I would pay to watch anyday, but right now I'm going to focus on reading this novel someday. Thanks for such a thorough review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I like reading books by Agatha Cristie and the premise of the book sounds promising. I particularly liked the aspect of vivid dreams. Thanks for your amazing review!
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

Informative review. I think this is an interesting mystery read.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

"The first is that the storyline is too linear, you get too many questions, but almost any clues about what is happening, it is impossible to form a theory about what is going on." This makes me feel that this book is deficient in terms of suspense. However, I'm interested in sci-fi books, so I would give this one a try. Thanks for the review.
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

This seems like a great read. I will add it to my shelves. Great review.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Troy Barnes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-barnes.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Troy Barnes »

I'm not sure this is for me but seeing you mention Agatha Christie makes me interested to check it out. Good work.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”