Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book in the epic fantasy series by Matthew Tysz. It introduces us to the kingdom of Voulhire.

From the Land of the Princes, Galen Bray embarked on a journey to the Voulhirian port of Magnum Caelum to be the heir to his dying uncle. Rowan, the executor of the will of Galen’s uncle, accompanied him to adjust to the new life in Magnum Caelum. Together, they traveled to the mining town of Alcovia to find a special white iron used to forge lactis armor for Mianorian Knights that guard the king's throne. What will Galen find out in his journey?

Meanwhile, Wilhelm Arcolo, the King of Voulhire, appointed Eldus Alderman to be the new lord of the quiet southern town of Hillport. Like Galen, Elbus and his family were also getting used to the new life in Hillport. With the help of his wife and their children, Lord Eldus wanted to restore the town. How will Eldus help the townspeople? Will he succeed in his endeavor?

I did not have high expectations when I picked this book. I was relieved that the names of the characters and places are easy to pronounce. The world-building is well-structured and sufficient for my imagination. I am fascinated with biomages, and I want to know more about their magical abilities. Additionally, there are some witty banters every now and then, so I am fond of the playful characters in the story.

There were times when I got confused with the word choice. The words like football, hockey, metrosexual, and OCD sound inappropriate for the setting and genre of the book. Also, some character names sound regular (Rowan), while the others sound bizarre (Meldorath). The inconsistent word choice negatively affected my reading experience because the inappropriate words did not reflect the authenticity of the overall setup of the book.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I appreciate the inclusion of a map and a glossary, but I wish there is a table of contents. I removed 1 star due to the word choice in writing. I also spotted some grammatical errors. While the tragic parts are necessary for the plot development, some places are better left unsaid to minimize information overload on the readers. Based on my rating, I will consider reading the sequels to see if there are some improvements.

I recommend this novel to readers with a mature mindset, provided they understand some sexual undertones in the story. There is slight profanity as well as an issue on pedophilia. However, the reference to religious beliefs does not affect the overall theme of the story. This book is not a stand-alone, so prepare for the cliffhanger.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

A very justified review.
Don't wanna spoil anything for you but I'm waiting for your next review of the same series.
Thank you for your review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Durgeshwari Dolas wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 13:27 Don't wanna spoil anything for you but I'm waiting for your next review of the same series.
Thank you very much for stopping by.
I am tempted to open your latest review on this series, but I don't want to be spoiled. 😅
I'll just check your other reviews instead.
(I'm okay with reading the reviews on the book 2 of this series.)
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

When I read the book, I interpreted the mix of names and the use of words as a world made of different nations that offer a diversity in terms of culture and language. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Micheal Joseph
Favorite Book: A Bloody Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-joseph.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Micheal Joseph »

You’re review is amazing. Thank you for your beautiful insight on this book. I’ll definitely read it.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed reading your review. Quite a refreshing take on the book.

I too, like @NetMassimo saw the choice of names and words as a mix of different cultures in this world of voulhire and I appreciated the effort of the author.
Like eiodi, I think is a Japanese word,
Herr... Is from German, etc, .
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I appreciate that you pointed out the mix of names and words that made the story setup seem weird. Those things tend to distract me too from the main plot which further leads to me quickly losing interest. Thanks for your honest review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I read this book a while ago and I liked the justifications of your rating. Indeed the wordings sometimes did not go with the setting of the story. I hope you enjoy reading the next books! Thanks for a good review!
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I completely agree with the information overload part. There were times when I found it difficult to keep up with what was happening. Some names also seemed very similar so I used to get confused between the characters.
I enjoyed the banter between Rowan and Galen. Though this book had some good aspects, it didn't seem like my cup of tea.
Hope you enjoy the next ones. Thank you for the review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Fantastic review! I had a similar reaction when I read the first book, but I'm glad I pulled through. Hopefully, you enjoy the next book more!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Hiruni Hansika
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-hansika.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Hiruni Hansika »

I love your review! I was confused just the same as you. That's why I had to give up halfway.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I totally agree with your rating. The book seems to be in need of some editing while I would like to see a more interesting climax. The last one seems important in order to engage the public to read the whole of the trilogy. Either way, this is a great review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I also read this book, and I agree with some of the points you made. The choice of modern words was a bit odd when considering that the story seems to take place in a medieval-style world.

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts on this book.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I haven’t read any of the books in this series, but I love reading the reviews. Thank you for your honest take on this installment. I hope you enjoy the next one!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

Nice review. I enjoyed this series but I would agree with you that some of those scenes would have been better left unwritten.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”