Review of Wilderness Cry

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of Wilderness Cry

Post by Mercy119 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wilderness Cry" by Hilary L Hunt M.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wilderness Cry by Hilary L. Hunt, M.D. is a non-fiction book in which the author expresses his qualms with organized religion. He grew up in a small Catholic community in western Kentucky and the church’s totalitarian rule led him to question the institution’s motives.

What I liked most is that the book is straight to the point and the author compresses many ideas into a 113-page read. I went into this book with an open mind and I was glad to be met with an intellectual discussion that shone a light on issues that would intimidate staunch believers. First is the church’s effort to dictate people’s lives through its stance on sex and birth control. I was enlightened by the history that the author provided, which shed light on the motivation behind these directives. I was also shocked to discover that in the past, believers would be excommunicated if they sent their children to secular schools. That directive affected the author in his youth, and I could see the beginning of his unease.

The author himself is an educated and well-read individual and that was evident when he pointed out inconsistencies in biblical scriptures and their differing interpretations. He dissects pertinent topics like the origin of the Holy Trinity, the creation story, Jesus’ life, and the role of the disciples. These eye-opening discussions make up most of the text and were a joy to read. I relished every revelation and was intrigued with the bits of humor injected into them. The author also points out changes that the church has made to its doctrine over the years and questions the need for organized religion if the church is run by flawed humans. He also touches on the emergence of the protestant movement and highlights how the Catholic church was forced to adapt to the changes. With the rampant spread of the prosperity gospel, I would’ve liked to read more on this matter since it wasn’t given much attention in the book.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book is that it was unclear whether the author is still a practicing Catholic or whether he adheres to the two-commandment rule that he prescribes in the book. He iterates that he’s not an atheist, and he believes in the existence of a superior being. He combines his scientific background with extensive research to produce the ideas expounded in the book.

This book is concise and well-written and will be a great start for anyone seeking answers about Christianity. I would recommend it to open-minded individuals on a spiritual journey. Since I noticed no errors in the text, I will award it a rating of four out of four stars and conclude that it underwent professional editing. Although religion is the premise for this book, the ideas are respectfully presented and will not trigger any believers.

Wilderness Cry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I like how you mention that it won't trigger other people's beliefs. I think that is very critical when it comes to books like this. Thank you for the great review :D
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this book when it was the Book of the Month. The author seemed to focus his criticism on organized religion but seemed comfortable with his own faith. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

Thanks for your honest review and recommendations. I like it when a book is concise, and this is one of it.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Words backed by facts and an open minded individuals views- that sums it up. Thank you for a great review!
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

The book seems interesting and the author seems well versed in religion and science as he combines them and tries to prove his understanding. Great review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was scandalized by the author's claim that he has proven religion to be a hoax. I am a practicing Catholic and will most probably die as one. While I don’t see myself reading the book, I respect the author's views. And yours.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

In a book like this, which addresses organized religion, it is good to know that the author himself is an educated and well-read individual. Thanks for a very detailed and good review of this book!
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I grew up in a religious community, but I'm not a Roman Catholic.
I'm hesitant to read this book even if it was featured many times here.
Might go for it out of curiosity.
Thanks for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

The author gives voice to the deep seated feelings of many. Thanks for an in-depth review.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I am glad that the author's discussions would open the eyes of many. Thanks for the amazing review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe it's a thought-provoking book, but I'll pass this time :) Thank you for a great review!
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

In the past, believers would be excommunicated if they sent their children to secular schools? Hmm! I didn't know that. I wonder how much more I could learn from reading the whole book. Thanks for the review.
NISSE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisse.html
Latest Review: Insights for Coaching Leaders beyond 2021 by Jill Flynn

Post by NISSE »

An educational read about God,Christianity,Jesus and the Bible. The author has covered many bases even though the book is only 113 pages long.
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think you're correct in saying that this book might intimidate staunch believers, but also that his arguments are respectfully presented. I think his arguments against the church have foundation, I'm just not sure how solid the foundation is! You wrote a nice review on this book!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”