Review of Opaque

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Review of Opaque

Post by Ruchi Raina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque: Book One of Scion Saga Series by Calix Leigh-Reign is a novel that you may not like at first, but it will have you fall in love with it in no time. The first few pages had me cringing with disgust, but as I went on reading the next few pages, everything started to become clear and things started to make sense. It's such a gripping mystery that it will have you biting your nails, anxious to see what will happen next.

Our protagonists, Adam and Carly, are Descendants of extinct Russian bloodlines that are being hunted by a group of scientists, Iksha, who want to possess their powers. They are trying to find out why these descendants are different from other normal humans, and how they access their powers so that they can do the same. The only way to know if someone is a descendant is to either see them in action or to see if a person's Limbal Ring glows. At the start of the story, we see that Adam doesn't know of his true identity and just thinks of himself as a sociopath who hates everyone except his mother. He loathes having to interact with anyone at school but does so to appease his parents. All this unexpectedly changes when Carly comes into his life and he feels a sudden attraction towards her. She too feels attracted to him but both try to resist it or just ignore it. But the pull is too powerful for the both of them and they finally give in. A bit later, we see the secret of Adam's origin being unearthed with the help of Carly, and she tells him about his abilities and how those scientists are after them and have already murdered many descendants in their quest. From here we see the love blooming between the protagonists while they struggle to keep their identity a secret from the world, and at the same time Carly, even after sensing the evil inside Adam, fights alongside him to keep the darkness at bay. Hereafter starts their fight against the murderous Iksha, with the help of other descendants who join in their journey along the way.

I was apprehensive about continuing to read the book after I had read the first few pages but thought to give this book a chance, and as I kept on reading I started to love the turns the story was taking and all my apprehensions disappeared. This book has a very interesting plot with a combination of mystery, angst, romance and action and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It had me so hooked that I read the whole book in one sitting.

There was nothing that I didn't like in the book as it had everything that keeps a reader hooked and wanting to read more. Also, I loved that the book was neither too long nor too short.

I would like to give this book "four out of four stars" as there seemed to be very few errors in the book and also, I loved the way the story just kept on flowing and didn't bore me for even one second.

I would recommend this book to people who love to read romance, suspense and mystery novels as it has a perfect combination of those. It is a good book for young adults too.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I chuckled a bit at your intro.
Just got the sample of this book to see how it goes at first.
It's full of conversations, and it looks easy to read.
As a YA reader, I may like this story.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

The book sounds quite intriguing going by your review. I'll add it to ma to-read list.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 04:47 I chuckled a bit at your intro.
Just got the sample of this book to see how it goes at first.
It's full of conversations, and it looks easy to read.
As a YA reader, I may like this story.
Thank you for your review.
It is a good book but it takes time to get over the first few pages. Thanks for replying.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Unsullied wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 00:44 The book sounds quite intriguing going by your review. I'll add it to ma to-read list.
Yeah! Well after you get over the weirdness of the first few pages, after that it is smooth sailing. Thanks for replying.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Opaque has a nice cover of a man with glowing eyes. I like the story and Iksha is quite a different name for a villain. Thank you for a great review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Kavita Shah wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 00:34 Opaque has a nice cover of a man with glowing eyes. I like the story and Iksha is quite a different name for a villain. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks for replying :tiphat:
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

Sounds like a great read! Especially since the first couple of pages had you cringing but you ended up giving it 4 stars. I just might have to power through those first pages myself....
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

MysticSpade wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 18:18 Sounds like a great read! Especially since the first couple of pages had you cringing but you ended up giving it 4 stars. I just might have to power through those first pages myself....
Yes, those were traumatic for me :lol2: , but the rest of the book more than made up for it. Thanks for yoy comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”