Review of Rescuing General Patton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Review of Rescuing General Patton

Post by Ruchi Raina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rescuing General Patton" by Curtis Stephen Burdick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick is a fictional wartime novel that gives us a glimpse of the struggles, the suicidal missions and the decisions taken under pressure that caused many fatalities. This book takes us on a ride through the time of war where we learn the importance of bravery, courage and selflessness.

The book starts with John Harding, a retired US Army major, signing the copies of a book he had released recently and there he meets a woman named Julia Patton Walton, who introduces herself as the granddaughter of General Patton. She gives him an envelope and reveals that this was the letter given to her by her mother that carried a secret not known to many. This leads to him sifting through the old records as he is a fanatic about historical accuracy and doing the tedious research needed to uncover the truth and verify seemingly accepted ‘facts'. His research helps him unearth the 'top secret' related to General Patton that had been buried almost fifty years ago. As the title suggests, the novel is about rescuing General Patton who has been captured by the Germans and is acting as a Colonel so that they don't try to torture the information out of him. General Bradley takes on the planning of the mission of rescuing Patton and then we are introduced to a character that will play a huge role in the said task, Captain Pizzio or as his men call him, Captain Pizza, and from here starts the mission of rescuing General Patton.

What I loved about the book was that the writing style and the storyline didn't let me take my eyes off the book. The way the author has penned down instances like the minefield one and then in the end the show of pure determination by Pizzio and Giuseppe to save their men at any cost brought tears to my eyes. The unwavering trust and admiration Pizzio's men felt for him were discernible by their willingness to do anything he commands. There were several decisions taken under pressure that cost them so many precious lives and the dialogue "the war doesn't stop to let us mourn" made their helplessness and distress palpable. Also, I appreciate that there was an epilogue that tells us about the soldiers who fought in the war and what happened to them after the conclusion of the war.

It was a very fascinating book to read as it had an incredibly detailed description of the ammunition being used, the environment and the positioning of the soldiers during combat. There was nothing that I didn't like in the book. This novel will make you go through a myriad of emotions and will make you anxious to know what happens next.

I will rate this book "four out of four stars" as I found no errors in the book and it seemed professionally edited. The book keeps the reader hooked and is certainly a page-turner.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy wartime stories, historical fiction and lots of military action. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat and will make you want to read it again.

Rescuing General Patton
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your recommendation! I would love to read the book since I am a fan of historical fictions. Great review!
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Books like this help a common civillian appreciate the loyalty and services of soldiers and martyrs. Thanks for an insightful review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by khaulah »

The plot is very interesting. I can understand the book was written well to bring out emotions in you. Good job👍
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

A fictional wartime novel that gives readers a glimpse of the struggles, the suicidal missions, and the decisions taken under pressure that caused many fatalities. This book takes us on a ride through the time of war where we learn the importance of bravery, courage, and selflessness. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the detailed review.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's a good story but I am not really a fan of historical fiction. I'll be skipping it. Thanks for a detailed review!
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

Nice review. Not really my type of historical fiction but I will let those I know who do like this type of book all about it.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing a beautiful review once again. Great job!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 15:06 Thank you for your recommendation! I would love to read the book since I am a fan of historical fictions. Great review!
It truly is a great book. Thank you for stopping by :tiphat:
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Reader-247 wrote: 04 Jul 2021, 22:45 Books like this help a common civillian appreciate the loyalty and services of soldiers and martyrs. Thanks for an insightful review.
I agree. I was crying while reading about their willingness to sacrifice themselves . Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

khaulah wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 03:00 The plot is very interesting. I can understand the book was written well to bring out emotions in you. Good job👍
Yes, it's an amazing book. Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Emily_Jen wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 03:52 A fictional wartime novel that gives readers a glimpse of the struggles, the suicidal missions, and the decisions taken under pressure that caused many fatalities. This book takes us on a ride through the time of war where we learn the importance of bravery, courage, and selflessness. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Kavita Shah wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 05:21 It's a good story but I am not really a fan of historical fiction. I'll be skipping it. Thanks for a detailed review!
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 16:35 Nice review. Not really my type of historical fiction but I will let those I know who do like this type of book all about it.
That's so sweet of you, and I would really appreciate it :D Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:

Post by Ruchi Raina »

Mtibza eM wrote: 06 Jul 2021, 08:58 Thank you for sharing a beautiful review once again. Great job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”