Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Review of Kalayla

Post by Janet Kimetto »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas is a story about family. It centers on the lives of three women, Lena, Maureen, and Kalayla. Lena is seventy two years old, with a mind for business and the experience to go with it. She's had more than her fair share of loss through the years, so now she wears only black. Some things you wouldn't live through without getting scarred.

Kalayla's mother, Maureen, has to juggle parenthood with two jobs, putting her love for art on the back burner. Losing her husband, Jamal, turned hers and Kalayla's world upside down, snapping her right out of her perfect lull. She's taking on responsibilities she didn't have to before, and doubts plague her mind. Is she doing it right? But most importantly, will she ever get back to her art projects?

Kalayla is eleven years old and thinks she knows better than anyone else. She has a good head on her shoulders, that one. Sensible for her age. She's already looking out for herself and her mother, and you have to wonder, will she still feel the same way when family secrets long buried by her mother find their way to her?

I read Kalayla right after reading the last book in the Deadside Reapers series. The two books gave me completely different emotions. I must admit, I've been reading fantasy for far too long that I forgot there is magic in the mundane too. Reading Kalayla had me feeling calm and grounded, and it was exactly what I needed. Had me thinking back to a time when I'd watch episodes of the series Seventh Heaven and feel oddly happy. Kalayla had the same feel.

I liked how the writer indicated the season and the year before the start of the chapters. That made it very easy to keep pace with time passage. We also get to know whose character's perspective we'll read before the start of every chapter.

There is absolutely nothing that I disliked about this book. I give it a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I did not notice any errors while reading, and as such, this book was exceptionally well edited.

I recommend Kalayla to anyone fascinated by the chaos that make up families; the love, the betrayal, the sacrifice, the loss, the heartbreak, the guilt, the redemption, the forgiveness, and the day-to-day happenings. This book touches on topics of marital abuse, racism, and rape. I would therefore not recommend it for a younger audience.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I have reviewed this book too and it is a remarkable book. What dampened my experience of reading this book was the overly forgiving nature of Maureen. I don't think any sane human has that big of a heart. The doings of her parents and Uncle Clarence were a bit too much for me. Thanks for the great review.
Mercy Osmond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-osmond.html
Latest Review: The Trials of Uwe, Parts I, II and III by Steven L Masia

Post by Mercy Osmond »

I have read this book. It's an interesting story that i won't forget in a hurry. Especially Kalalyla, she is an interesting and a funny character. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

I reviewed this book too. First I was hesitant to pick it because of its not-so-interesting cover. But I have to mention that I didn't regret choosing this one. Besides, I felt the same kind of emotions while reading. That was a great review you've written. Your use of language is lucid.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I loved how you put it, "I recommend Kalayla to anyone fascinated by the chaos that make up families!" I agree with your rating and enjoyed your lovely presentation!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Ruchi Raina wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 13:20 I have reviewed this book too and it is a remarkable book. What dampened my experience of reading this book was the overly forgiving nature of Maureen. I don't think any sane human has that big of a heart. The doings of her parents and Uncle Clarence were a bit too much for me. Thanks for the great review.
I guess Maureen has to think about Kalayla now, and how her decisions (actions) would affect her kid. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Mercy Osmond wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 22:16 I have read this book. It's an interesting story that i won't forget in a hurry. Especially Kalalyla, she is an interesting and a funny character. Thanks for the beautiful review.
I wouldn't be forgetting about Kalayla soon either. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Vishnu Priya B wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 00:42 I reviewed this book too. First I was hesitant to pick it because of its not-so-interesting cover. But I have to mention that I didn't regret choosing this one. Besides, I felt the same kind of emotions while reading. That was a great review you've written. Your use of language is lucid.
I was glad I chose this one too. Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your kind words!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 14:01 I loved how you put it, "I recommend Kalayla to anyone fascinated by the chaos that make up families!" I agree with your rating and enjoyed your lovely presentation!
Thank you so much for stopping by, and for your kind words!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

There was a time where I really wanted to read this. Although, contemporary reads are not my favorite. However, I loved your review :) Looking forward to more.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I enjoyed reading this book too and I agree with your rating.
Although, for a long time after reading it, I could not get over Kalayla's blatant rudeness. She was just too extra for me.

Thanks for the lovely, refreshing review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

Kalayla is already looking out for herself and her mother, and you have to wonder, will she still feel the same way when family secrets long buried by her mother find their way to her? I look forward to finding out. Thanks do the review.
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

RayRuff wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 08:23 There was a time where I really wanted to read this. Although, contemporary reads are not my favorite. However, I loved your review :) Looking forward to more.
If you ever get into another dilemma and this book is involved, pick it out. Something about it, it doesn't ask a lot from the reader. You just go along with the story. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

zainherb wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 10:57 I enjoyed reading this book too and I agree with your rating.
Although, for a long time after reading it, I could not get over Kalayla's blatant rudeness. She was just too extra for me.

Thanks for the lovely, refreshing review.
Funny how I didn't really think of her as rude, maybe just a little standoffish? Which is understandable considering her life. I get how she'd come across as rude though. Thank you so much for stopping by!
Janet Kimetto
Currently Reading:

Post by Janet Kimetto »

Emily_Jen wrote: 05 Jul 2021, 11:52 Kalayla is already looking out for herself and her mother, and you have to wonder, will she still feel the same way when family secrets long buried by her mother find their way to her? I look forward to finding out. Thanks do the review.
It's an interesting read, you'll enjoy reading it. Thank you so much for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”